From: sobi0268@mary.cs.fredonia.edu (Kevin V. Sobilo)
Subject: Re: Is Ada the Future?
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 1994 10:40:15 GMT
Date: 1994-10-02T10:40:15+00:00	[thread overview]

Simtel20 Transfer (HARBAUGH@ROO.FIT.EDU) wrote:
: Ok, I'll speculate that Ada 9X needs about $750M
: invested over the next several years to make it
: a commercial success.
: Agree?  Disagree?

Well, my take on whether Ada can become successful in
commercial industry is this.... Only if educational institutions
start supporting it more. The stresses have to be on
software engineering. I believe that many schools programs,
including the way the program here at SUNY Fredonia were designed
were for people going on to grad school.... Wel, surprise surprise...
Not many student from SUNY Fredonia go on to grad school right away...
Many are working for DoD contractors such as CSC or IIT... So,
even though the curriculum hasnt been altered, here at Fredonia,
stress is placed on software engineering (using Ada pretty heavily)...

As a result, over this past summer and continuing now I am working
at Amherst Systems as a Student Software Engineer using Ada, Motif, etc...

So, my belief is that if colleges and universities stress software
engineering practices and use Ada even moderately, that Ada will
work its way into commercial industry. Students dont just forget
everything they did in college when they go to work... If they
have learned the benefits of an organized approach to software
design and development, then when they use Ada they will be able to
appreciate the features which lend itself to this....

--