From: whiting_ms@corning.com (whiting_ms@corning.com (Matt Whiting))
Subject: Re: Ada vendors abandon Ada in November Emb.Sys.Prog.
Date: 8 Nov 94 08:38:33 -0500
Date: 1994-11-08T08:38:33-05:00	[thread overview]

--

Well, as one who writes software in the "commercial world", and increasingly
buys COTS software for "commercial" use, I beg to differ.  Life cycle costs are
given much lip service in the commercial world, but I rarely see decisions made
that truly reflect consideration of much beyond the initial costs.  Most
managers in "civilian" companies know that they will be long gone on to their
next job before the maintenance costs of their decisions become visible.
Managers are rewarded (as are engineers, BTW) most heavily for what they've
done in the past YEAR; not what they did 5, 10, or more years previous.  Many
companies don't even keep performance records on their employees for more than
5 years!  What sticks in the collective corporate memory are the events such
as on time, or under budget project completions, or introduction of some snazzy
new technology ... not the fact that a system has very low life cycle costs.
I'll bet that most companies don't even TRACK software maintenance costs.  I've
run across only one company that does and I've talked with lots of folks from
lots of companies over the past 12 years.

It is my opinion though that the increased use of COTS software may finally
change this.  I know that my company is starting to pay attention to software
maintenance costs now that it gets yearly bills from vendors for annual
maintenance fees!  Many used to think that our internal software developers and
maintainers were inefficient and costly, but nobody ever tracked the costs so
it was largely urban (corporate?) legend.  Now that the costs are painfully
visible and ramping up fast as we buy more and more COTS products, people are
starting to take notice.  I've even heard some managers begin to talk about the
costs of COTS actually being higher on a lifecycle basis...

--
Matthew S. Whiting, P.E.   | PP-ASEL-IA | All opinions expressed herein are
Corning Incorporated       |            | strictly personal.