From: firth@sei.cmu.edu (Robert Firth)
Subject: Re: Corruption in Ada9x office - suppression of Ada survey results
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 1994 13:40:22 EST
Date: 1994-11-07T13:40:22-05:00	[thread overview]

In article <Cyuy7M.M6@world.std.com> srctran@world.std.com (Gregory Aharonian) writes:

>    Even worse is that while we could live without that data (though it would
>    be nice) what we really want is sales leads, in particular names and
>    addresses of people calling the 1-800 number in response to the ads.

And I firmly hope Chris Anderson and Telos told these people that
no way would they get individual names and addresses, and they can
go jump in the lake.

If I volunteered to take part in a survey, and then found that my
name and telephone number were being peddled to every salescritter
who wanted to make my life a misery with unsolicited junk telemarketing
calls, I'd be very, very angry.  Congratulations to the Ada people for
their resolute defence of individual privacy and of the honesty of
their survey.

In most other countries - the UK, Germany, and Sweden for example - it
is illegal for any government agency to collect data for one ostensible
purpose and then use it for any other purpose.  Fat chance of such laws
being passed in this country, but until then, it is good to have people
of integrity like Chris Anderson to do the right thing.