From: Robb.Nebbe@di.epfl.ch (Robb Nebbe)
Subject: Re: Delphi and SGI's GNAT Ada access of C++ class libraries
Date: 22 Nov 1994 10:07:31 GMT
Date: 1994-11-22T10:07:31+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <199411200820.IAA02428@stout.entertain.com>, Colin James III <cjames@STOUT.ENTERTAIN.COM> writes:

|> Regarding SGI using GNAT to access SGI's C++ class libraries, so what.
|> Eiffel has *always* been able to access C libraries directly;  and Eiffel
|> 3 (with concurrent processes matching Ada-83 tasks) has absolutely all
|> the functionality (and more) than Ada-9x.  What SGI is claiming is in
|> fact no big deal;  it's been done before.  Also Eiffel is infinitely more
|> portable because there are more ANSI C/C++ compilers than hardware
|> platforms supported by Ada-83/9x.

There are a couple of um, ah ... inaccuracies here:

Interfacing with C is not the same as interfacing with C++ (at least
it shouldn't be but that is another thread :-)

Eiffel 3 is not a standard, doesn't include concurrecy and I'm not
aware of any full implementations of Eiffel 3. ISE has a new version
of their compiler comming out which might be a full implementation
but I haven't seen an announcement stating that it is.

Eiffel is a nice language but it seems a bit naive (or worse) to
pretend that it offers all the functionality of Ada94.

- Robb Nebbe