From: jgs0132@vaxa.isc.rit.edu
Subject: Re: Command line package for Alsys Ada Compiler
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 1994 02:20:38 GMT
Date: 1994-11-14T02:20:38+00:00	[thread overview]

	I seem to have gotten some Alsys representitives upset, so I will address
each of thier concerns as numbered below.

Ed writes,

                      Concern 1,
>ALL the Ada development systems out there have problems of various kinds, in
>various areas.  And while you're entitled to your opinions about the merits
>of various systems in various contexts, this kind of posting is pure crap.
>
>Get specific.

                      Concern 2.

>And as far as your last statement, what kind of rope are you smoking, anyway?

While Paul writes,

                      Concern 3.
>I don't know where you picked this information from, but you are hopelessly
>wrong.  We use our own products extensively.

Concern 1:  As to a specific problem with the Alsys compiler, I will use an
example of one that cost me over a month of testing on a project.  The manner
in which Alsys implements a timed entry for SCO Unix in is incorrect.  If the
timed entry call is not used (i.e. due to a gaurd clause) over the course of
38 to 50 hours, it crashes the program with a CONSTRAINT_ERROR.  This is not
the only compiler bug on the Alsys Ada compiler I have found (their
implemenation of standard input and output files does not work either) but it
is certainly the most costly I have seen.  Yes all compilers have defects, but
the magnitude of the defects, the kinds of defects, and the compiler vendors
response to defects says something of the reliability and usability of the
compiler.

Concern 2:  Resorting to insulting to me does not change the fact that one of
Alsys's own people DID say they did not use the Alsys Ada compiler.

Concern 3:  Paul, I never said that Alsys does not use its own products.  From
what I understand, for example, Teleuse (sp?) is quite a good GUI product
put out by Alsys, and I am certian that Alsys has other fine products that are
thouroghly used internally and externally to Alsys.  I used a specific example
(the Ada compiler) and meant no reference to any other products.  If one was
perceived, I am sorry.

                      Jon.