* Re: Lines of documentation per LOC
@ 1994-12-07 12:57 Loic Briand
From: Loic Briand @ 1994-12-07 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1994Oct25.170005.27711@sei.cmu.edu> lpb@sei.cmu.edu (Loic Briand) writes:

 > Is there any document or source of information that provides
 > an accepted (?) ratio (lines of documentation / lines of code) for a
 > software design document (SDD)?

I received quite a lot a flaming after this simple request. The usual
net gurus made their usual doctoral comments (talking on the net
makes some people amazingly arrogant).

I finally got a few good references on the subject. They are by Capers Jones:

. His column "Software Challenges" in IEEE Computer (October 1994)
. His book "Assessment and Control of Software Risks" (Prentice Hall, 1994).

The statistics are in number of pages per function points. For the military
software, there is an average of 3.40 pages of spec/function point. (the total
amount of documentation is 6.15 pages/function point).
The article provides details on the relative amounts of user requirements,
functional specifications, logic specifications... Other domains (MIS,
commercial) are also analyzed.

An interesting point in the discussion is that organizations that are CMM level
3 could be subject to a reduction of paperwork, because "Much of the paperwork
required by the military standard 2167A has no particular relevance to the
technology of building or maintaining software. It was required primarily to
demonstrate that vendors knew what they were doing and were doing it on time -
that is, because DoD did not trust its vendors."

* Lines of documentation per LOC
@ 1994-10-25 21:00 Loic Briand
From: Loic Briand @ 1994-10-25 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there any document or source of information that provides
an accepted (?) ratio (lines of documentation / lines of code) for a
software design document (SDD)?
Talking with people around me, I got values between 10 and 0.1,
but no rationale other than: "the description has to be complete and
sufficient to allow modifications" and stuff like that.