From: Erik Naggum <erik@naggum.no>
Subject: Re: ASSET's New Catalog Listings (14-OCT-94)
Date: 20 Oct 1994 13:14:48 UT
Date: 1994-10-20T13:14:48+00:00	[thread overview]

[info@source.asset.com]

|   The STARS ASSET Reuse Library has recently added the following new
|   assets or new versions of existing assets.  You need to have an account
|   with ASSET in order to access these new documents and software.  More
|   information about ASSET, acquiring an account, and a hyper-text catalog
|   of our holdings can be found at the URL "http://source.asset.com/".
|   Information can also be obtained by sending email to
|   "info@source.asset.com", FAXing to (304) 594-3951, or calling
|   (304)-594-3954.

[Erik Naggum]

|   this does not belong in all the newsgroups it has stupidly been posted to.
|
|   if the "documents and software" had been freely accessible to all the
|   people who receive this marketing nonsense, I would not have objected,
|   but when you abuse the network goodwill to push your products, I sure
|   hope nobody out there will consider calling you except to yell
|   unpleasant things at the dweeb who decided to post this.  as is typical
|   with such things, however, there is no named person to hold responsible
|   for this nonsense, further indicating that they _know_ they are guilty.

strong words backfire forcefully.

I have learned that ASSET's material is available free of charge, but that
they want tight control over access to it (or something), and "you need to
have an account with ASSET", "acquiring an account" and "our holdings" did
not, as I was certain it did, imply commercial operation.  (I still think
those terms quite strongly convey commercial operation, though.)

may I suggest a rewording to more specifically provide the conditions for
getting an account?  also, a name of a real person is always very helpful.

I'm not sure all the newsgroups that receive this have equal use for it,
though.  in the past half-dozen "catalog listings", I have not found much
material specifically useful to comp.text.sgml, anyway.

apologies to ASSET.  I'm sure they do a good job.

#<Erik>
--
Microsoft is not the answer.  Microsoft is the question.  NO is the answer.