* Walnut Creek Ada CD-ROM
@ 1993-09-08 13:23 agate!usenet.ins.cwru.edu!howland.reston.ans.net!math.ohio-state.edu!sol.
From: agate!usenet.ins.cwru.edu!howland.reston.ans.net!math.ohio-state.edu!sol. @ 1993-09-08 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

   Does anyone know if the Walnut Creek Ada CD-ROM includes both the PAL
and the ASR archives?  The salesperson I talked to on their 1-800 number
did not know exactly what the CD-ROM contained.  Any help would be
apprecriated.  Thanks in advance.

--
Brian Collins
pr09027@austin.lockheed.com

* Re: Walnut Creek Ada CD-ROM
@ 1993-09-08 15:16 Gregory Aharonian
From: Gregory Aharonian @ 1993-09-08 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

     I do not think that their CDROM has the PAL stuff in its entirety,
but it probably has the ASR stuff.  Sometime in the next week or so, I
will post to comp.lang.ada a top level directory of the Ada CDROM from
Walnut Creek (unless they can do it first).

     By the way, here's another idea to help Ada and illustrate the ongoing
waste with DoD reuse, especially the money drain at ASSET who are still
being allows to offering free Internet accounts and pay for their users
long distance phone bills to access the West Virginia computer site.

     If someone in the Mandated world can donate a thousand dollars or so,
I would be glad to arrange for a CDROM drive to be made anonymous ftp
accessible over the Internet, containing one of the Ada CDROMs.  This drive
could be identified to the many WAIS, GOPHER, WWW and other Internet
retrieval systems, allowing people around the world to quickly find info
on Ada and Ada source codes at no additional cost to the government.  In
that way, money drains like ASSET could be shut down.

    So let me make a serious proposal for this idea.  If someone in the
Mandated world can reallocate about $100,000  (I only need about $1,000, but
apparently a project has to be able to waste a lot of money to get funded,
and I am sure that I can figure a way to waste the remaining $99,000), I
will be glad to set up a CDROM drive with tons of Ada stuff on it easily
accessible to everyone in the world through anonymous ftp.

    In fact, how about if my friends at ARPA allocate me the money?  After
all, ARPA just gave VCOE $7.5 million to study software reuse, and the first
thing VCOE did with some of the money was to hold a seminar to teach high
school teachers megaprogramming.  Must be some competition between ARPA
contractors to see who can waste the most reuse money, VCOE or ASSET.  This
waste so undermines Ada that you have to wonder how much ARPA truly despises
Ada.  Inquiring minds want to know  :-)

 Greg Aharonian                                      srctran@world.std.com
 Source Translation & Optimization                            617-489-3727
 P.O. Box 404, Belmont, MA 02178

* Re: Walnut Creek Ada CD-ROM
@ 1993-09-08 17:49 cis.ohio-state.edu!math.ohio-state.edu!howland.reston.ans.net!agate!linus
From: cis.ohio-state.edu!math.ohio-state.edu!howland.reston.ans.net!agate!linus @ 1993-09-08 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello, Brian,

Yes, the Walnut Creek Ada CDROM contains the entire ASR.  It contains a part
of the PAL as of the time it was created.

The directory languages/ada/userdocs/alt_srcs contains two files named wcreek.t
xt
and wcreek.zip.  They describe the contents of the CDROM.

Rick

In article <26kmc3$r0g@antares.Austin.Lockheed.COM>, pr09027@austin.lockheed.co
m (pr09027) writes:
|> Hello,
|>
|>    Does anyone know if the Walnut Creek Ada CD-ROM includes both the PAL
|> and the ASR archives?  The salesperson I talked to on their 1-800 number
|> did not know exactly what the CD-ROM contained.  Any help would be
|> apprecriated.  Thanks in advance.
|>

|> --
|> Brian Collins
|> pr09027@austin.lockheed.com
|> bc01869@academia.swt.edu

* Re: Walnut Creek Ada CD-ROM
@ 1993-09-08 21:46 Michael Feldman
From: Michael Feldman @ 1993-09-08 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

 (pr09027) writes:
>Hello,
>
>   Does anyone know if the Walnut Creek Ada CD-ROM includes both the PAL
>and the ASR archives?  The salesperson I talked to on their 1-800 number
>did not know exactly what the CD-ROM contained.  Any help would be
>apprecriated.  Thanks in advance.

PAL, as such, did not exist at the time the CD was mastered. But PAL is
really just a new name for ASR anyway (Rick Conn has reorganized the
directories somerwhat but the stuff is pretty much the same).

The CD _does_ contain the ASR, so in essence you have PAL too. At some
point I suppose there will be a new version of the CD.

Most of ASSET is also on the CD, by the way. ASSET has some stuff in it
with restricted distribution, but the freely distributed material
as of the mastering date (May, as I recall) is there.

Also _everything_ on the AJPO public directories, including all the
then-current Ada9X stuff. Warning: a lot of it changed over the summer.

Mike Feldman
Michael B. Feldman -  co-chair, SIGAda Education Committee
The George Washington University -  Washington, DC 20052 USA
202-994-5253 (voice) - 202-994-0227 (fax) - mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu (Internet)
"We just changed our CONFIG.SYS, then pressed CTRL-ALT-DEL. It was easy."
-- Alexandre Giglavyi, director Lyceum of Information Technologies, Moscow.