From: yeshua.marcam.com!charnel!rat!news@uunet.uu.net  (Kang Su Gatlin)
Subject: Tasking in Ada
Date: 15 Sep 93 04:16:22 GMT	[thread overview]

Hello, I am currently working on a senior project in parallel algorithms but
I am also going to implement some of them.  One of the langueages that I'm
using is Ada.

I have hit a snag with Ada.  I need to create dynamic tasks that know which
task they are.

For example I create n tasks.  Task 1 knows it is task 1 and that there are
n total tasks.  Task 2 knows it is task 2 and that are n total tasks.  Task
n knows it is task n and that there are n total tasks.

I can't seem to find a way to pass information to tasks efficiently.  I want
all the tasks to run simultaneously so that the creation and execution of
the tasks can be done in t(1) time.

The only way I can think of how to do it is to loop through and create the
tasks but that is O(n) time.  Or I can create an array of tasks (if that is
possible) but then how do I get information to the tasks with using the
rendezvous mechanism (again O(n)).

All help is greatly appreciated, and methods used will be fully cited, so
include all information you would like printed.

Kang Su Gatlin