From: ulowell!swlvx2!jjm@uunet.uu.net  (James Murphy {75881})
Subject: Re: A very successful Ada marketing disaster in Boston
Date: 13 Sep 93 20:19:35 GMT	[thread overview]

willett@cbnewsl.cb.att.com (david.c.willett) writes:

>Unfortunately, Greg's point is consistent with the annecdotal evidence I've
>encountered.  How does it square with the rest of you? Are these attitudes
>indeed "common"?

   My single opinion is just that, my opinion.  I work with Ada daily and
I find it has many advantages, but it also has many drawbacks.  Without
going into the long and dirty about what I like and what I dislike, I
have to cast my vote in favor of C++ (provided the compiler supports
templates).  The lack of a "Microsoft Ada" or "Turbo Ada" is probably the
greatest obstacle I see to Ada making it outside the non Mandated world.
Show me a $300 Ada compiler/development environment that compiles tight,
fast code, supports OO (9x, not Ada 83), and I'll be forced to
reconsider my opinion.  As for my job, I do enjoy working with Ada.