* Re: ASR FAQ
@ 1993-05-07 13:13 Rolf EBERT
From: Rolf EBERT @ 1993-05-07 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1993May6.223304.5887@sei.cmu.edu>, connr@ajpo.sei.cmu.edu (Richard
Conn) writes:

[description of the ASR deleted]

|> ============================================================================
|> 4. How do I get a copy of the resources it offers?
|>
|> The ASR is split between the <ADA> and <MSDOS.ADA> directories on
|> SIMTEL20.
|>
|> SIMTEL20 allows only nine ANONYMOUS FTP logins during weekday prime
|> time, 5am to 3pm Mountain Time (GMT-7), but 27 otherwise.  It is HIGHLY
|> RECOMMENDED to not use SIMTEL20 directly; use the mirror sites instead.
|>
|> All of the ASR is available on AdaNet, funded by NASA.  Subscriptions to
|> AdaNet are free of charge.  Contact AdaNet directly at 800/444-1458.
|>
|> Parts of the ASR are available on ASSET, funded by STARS.  Subscriptions to
|> ASSET are free of charge.  Contact librarian@source.asset.com.
|>
|> All of the ASR is available on the following SIMTEL20 mirror sites in
|> the indicated directories:
|>
|> oak.oakland.edu (USA, 141.210.10.117)     pub/ada
|> wuarchive.wustl.edu (USA, 128.252.135.4)  mirrors/ada
|> ftp.uu.net (USA, 137.39.1.9)              languages/ada
|> nctuccca.edu.tw (Taiwan, 140.111.3.21)    Computing-Languages/ada/SIMTEL-ada

There also is an European site that has a whole copy of the ASR and of some oth
er
useful Ada-code and information such as ayacc-aflex, Numerics-Working-Group
papers, Paradise, GNAT-info, AJPO-mirror:

Look in

	cnam.cnam.fr:/pub/Ada

Rolf Ebert     Groupe Informatique et Systemes Energetiques     GISE EMP-ENPC
Tel: +33 1 43044098 app 3475 FAX: +33 1 43046364            La Courtine Cedex
Internet: ebert@enpc.fr                                F-93167 Noisy le Grand

* ASR FAQ
@ 1993-05-22 16:55 cis.ohio-state.edu!math.ohio-state.edu!zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu!howland.
From: cis.ohio-state.edu!math.ohio-state.edu!zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu!howland. @ 1993-05-22 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ada Software Repository - Frequently Asked Questions
Date: 22 May 1993
Questions/Comments/Suggestions for Improvement?
    Contact connr@ajpo.sei.cmu.edu

1. What is the ASR?
2. Disclaimer
3. Who is paying for the ASR and its sites?
4. How do I get a copy of the resources it offers?
5. How do I find out what the ASR has to offer?

1. What is the ASR?

The  Ada  Software  Repository  (ASR)  is  a  repository  of Ada
programs, software  components, and educational material that has been
established on the SIMTEL20  host computer on the Defense Data Network
(DDN).  This repository has been accessible to any host computer on the
network since November 26, 1984.  The ASR is currently a voluntary
activity without funding.  Disk space is provided on SIMTEL20 on a
space-available basis and is subject to going away without warning
if the need arises.

The  ASR  serves  two  basic  roles:  to  promote  the  exchange  and
use (reusability)  of  Ada programs and tools (including components) and
to promote Ada  education  (specifically by providing several working
examples of programs in source form for people to study and modify and
by providing courseware on Software Engineering with Ada,
Object-Oriented Design, and Object-Oriented Programming).

The  ASR  is  one of several repositories located on the SIMTEL20 DDN
host computer  at  White  Sands  Missile Range in New Mexico.  SIMTEL20
is owned and operated by the Computer Operations Division of the
Information Systems Command of the U.S.  Army (USAISC).

2. Disclaimer

All software, documentation, and other items of information in the ASR
are in  the  public  domain,  covered  by ACM-style or GNU-style
copyrights, or are shareware.   These  software, documentation, and
information files are provided "AS  IS"  and  without  any  expressed
or  implied  warranties whatsoever.  No warranties of performance,
merchantability, or fitness for a particular purpose exist.

Because  of  the  diversity  of  conditions  and hardware under which
this software  may  be  used,  no  warranty  of  fitness for a
particular purpose is offered.  The user is advised to test the software
thoroughly before relying on it.  The user must assume the entire risk
and liability of using this software.

In no event shall any person or organization of people be held
responsible for  any  direct,  indirect,  consequential  or
inconsequential damages or lost profits.

Documentation  on  or mention of any company or its products in any of
the files in the ASR is provided for the information of the ASR user
community only and does not in any way constitute an endorsement.

3. Who is paying for the ASR and its sites?

The ASR is currently a voluntary activity without funding.  Disk space
is provided on SIMTEL20 on a space-available basis and is subject to
going away without warning if the need arises.

The mirror sites and servers are funded by the local institutions out of
a feeling of shared interest and mutual benefit.  We constitute a
community of users who is interested in serving our own user communities
and are providing a public service in the interest of serving our own
users better.  All services are voluntary, and any service is subject
to change at any time without notice.  Each service is self-supporting
and is occasionally blessed with grants from industry and government
sectors to help it continue providing its service.

If you wish to use a service, please pay attention to the directions
given by that service and adhere to their wishes.  Their directions
are usually not restrictive and are in place for good reason.

4. How do I get a copy of the resources it offers?

The ASR is split between the PD:<ADA> and PD:<MSDOS.ADA> directories on
SIMTEL20.

SIMTEL20 allows only nine ANONYMOUS FTP logins during weekday prime
time, 5am to 3pm Mountain Time (GMT-7), but 27 otherwise.  It is HIGHLY
RECOMMENDED to not use SIMTEL20 directly; use the mirror sites instead.

All of the ASR is available on AdaNET, funded by NASA.  Subscriptions to
AdaNET are free of charge.  Contact AdaNET directly via email to
lacey@adanet.wvnet.edu (this is the AdaNET Client Service) or via phone
at 800/444-1458.

Parts of the ASR are available on ASSET, funded by STARS.  Subscriptions to
ASSET are free of charge.  Contact librarian@source.asset.com.

A copy of the entire ASR and other useful Ada code and information
(aflex/ayacc, Numerics Working Group papers, Paradise, GNAT info,
and a copy of the material on ajpo.sei.cmu.edu) is on the French host
cnam.cnam.fr starting in the directory /pub/Ada.  Access can be made by
anonymous FTP.

If you are a user of CompuServe or GENIE, the MSDOS archives on SIMTEL20
are frequently copied into these services.

All of the ASR is available on the following SIMTEL20 mirror sites in
the indicated directories:

oak.oakland.edu (USA, 141.210.10.117)     pub/ada
wuarchive.wustl.edu (USA, 128.252.135.4)  mirrors/ada
ftp.uu.net (USA, 137.39.1.9)              languages/ada
nctuccca.edu.tw (Taiwan, 140.111.3.21)    Computing-Languages/ada/SIMTEL-ada

All of the MSDOS archive is available on the following SIMTEL20 mirror
sites:
    oak.oakland.edu (USA, 141.210.10.117)     pub/msdos
    wuarchive.wustl.edu (USA, 128.252.135.4)  mirrors/msdos
    archive.orst.edu (USA, 128.193.2.13)
    ftp.uu.net (USA, 137.39.1.9)
    nic.funet.fi (Finland, 128.214.6.100)
    src.doc.ic.ac.uk (United Kingdom, 146.169.3.7)
    nic.switch.ch (USA, 130.59.1.40)
    archie.au (Australia, 139.130.4.6)
    nctuccca.edu.tw (Taiwan, 140.111.3.21)

As a general rule, and ASR and MSDOS archives are at various locations
on these mirror sites.  You have to go looking for them.  It usually
does not take long to find them after a few quick guesses.

SIMTEL20 files are available by e-mail through the BITNET/EARN file
servers, which include:

Location        EARN/BITNET          Internet
From: Gregory Aharonian @ 1993-05-23 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

>3. Who is paying for the ASR and its sites?
>
>The ASR is currently a voluntary activity without funding.  Disk space
>is provided on SIMTEL20 on a space-available basis and is subject to
>going away without warning if the need arises.

   Once again, why in a climate where the DoD is funding three software
reuse centers, is space for the ASR provided on an as available basis,
and its organizer a volunteer.

   I would be interesting to measure use of SIMTEL Ada repository versus
the DoD taxpayer funded efforts to measure productivity.

Greg
 Greg Aharonian
 Source Translation & Optimization
 P.O. Box 404, Belmont, MA 02178

* Re: ASR FAQ
@ 1993-05-23 19:55 Alex Blakemore
From: Alex Blakemore @ 1993-05-23 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <SRCTRAN.93May23124154@world.std.com> srctran@world.std.com (Gregory
 Aharonian) writes:
>    Once again, why in a climate where the DoD is funding three software
> reuse centers, is space for the ASR provided on an as available basis,
> and its organizer a volunteer.

even worse, why is that the only one to poste a FAQ to comp.lang.ada
and allow anonymous ftp?

Greg has a pretty good point here.
--
Alex Blakemore       alex@cs.umd.edu        NeXT mail accepted
"Without an engaged and motivated human being at the keyboard,

* Re: ASR FAQ
@ 1993-05-23 22:10 cis.ohio-state.edu!pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu!math.ohio-state.edu!magnus.
From: cis.ohio-state.edu!pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu!math.ohio-state.edu!magnus. @ 1993-05-23 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

 Aharonian) writes:
>>3. Who is paying for the ASR and its sites?
>>
>>The ASR is currently a voluntary activity without funding.  Disk space
>>is provided on SIMTEL20 on a space-available basis and is subject to
>>going away without warning if the need arises.
>
>   Once again, why in a climate where the DoD is funding three software
>reuse centers, is space for the ASR provided on an as available basis,
>and its organizer a volunteer.
>
>   I would be interesting to measure use of SIMTEL Ada repository versus
>the DoD taxpayer funded efforts to measure productivity.

But SIMTEL _is_ (at least for the hardware and network access) DoD /
taxpayer funded.

>From the FAQ:
}The  ASR  is  one of several repositories located on the SIMTEL20 DDN
}host computer  at  White  Sands  Missile Range in New Mexico.  SIMTEL20
}is owned and operated by the Computer Operations Division of the
}Information Systems Command of the U.S.  Army (USAISC).

While the Army apparently doesn't make the ASR a very high priority,
it is important enough that they have made the Ada and and other
archives freely and reliably available for over a decade.
   They are saying that if their mission or budget dictates, that
could change.  But that is true of _any_ government-sponsored program.

--
|Jon L. Spear (spear@cs.nps.navy.mil) : A man's reach should exceed his |
|Dept of Comp Sci, Code CS/Sj, x2830  : grasp, or what's a metaphor?    |