* Re: TOOLS USA Final program
@ 1993-05-27  1:06 Michael Feldman
From: Michael Feldman @ 1993-05-27  1:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <C7nt5M.7Jx@ra.nrl.navy.mil> ege@cmsun.cmf.nrl.navy.mil (Raimund Ege
) writes:
>This is the final program for TOOLS USA 93 (Technology of Object-Oriented
>Languages and Systems), to be held in Santa Barbara (California),
>August 2-6, 1993.

[program stuff deleted]

>7. EXHIBITION
>-------------
>TOOLS USA 93 features  an  exhibit of state-of-the-art object orien-
>ted technology. TOOLS encourages developers of object-oriented tools
>and applications written using  object technology  to exhibit  their
>latest projects in Santa Barbara.
>
>The current list of exhibitors includes:
>
>    * Mark V Sytems Ltd.
>    * Object Technologies, Inc.
>    * Smartstar Corporation
>    * CGI
>    * Easel Corporation
>    * Unir Technology, Inc.
>    * Sequiter Software Inc.
>    * Interactive Software Engineering
>    * Tower Technology
>    * Dyad Software Corporation
>    * NICE
>    * Prentice Hall
>    * Software Magazine

Lemme get the jump on Greg here.

Sigh...where are the Ada tool companies?

Mike Feldman
Michael B. Feldman
co-chair, SIGAda Education Committee

School of Engineering and Applied Science
The George Washington University
Washington, DC 20052 USA
(202) 994-5253 (voice)
(202) 994-5296 (fax)
mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu (Internet)

"The most important thing is to be sincere,
and once you've learned how to fake that, you've got it made."
-- old show-business adage

* Re: TOOLS USA Final program
@ 1993-05-27 15:37 Jos eph Pecore
From: Jos eph Pecore @ 1993-05-27 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1993May27.010659.11376@seas.gwu.edu>, mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu (Michae
l Feldman) writes:
> In article <C7nt5M.7Jx@ra.nrl.navy.mil> ege@cmsun.cmf.nrl.navy.mil (Raimund E
ge) writes:
>>This is the final program for TOOLS USA 93 (Technology of Object-Oriented
>>Languages and Systems), to be held in Santa Barbara (California),
>>August 2-6, 1993.
>>
> [program stuff deleted]
>>
>>7. EXHIBITION
>>-------------
>>The current list of exhibitors includes:
>>
>>    * Mark V Sytems Ltd.
>>    * Object Technologies, Inc.
>>    * Smartstar Corporation
>>    * CGI
>>    * Easel Corporation
>>    * Unir Technology, Inc.
>>    * Sequiter Software Inc.
>>    * Interactive Software Engineering
>>    * Tower Technology
>>    * Dyad Software Corporation
>>    * NICE
>>    * Prentice Hall
>>    * Software Magazine
>>
> Lemme get the jump on Greg here.
>
> Sigh...where are the Ada tool companies?
>
> Mike Feldman
> Michael B. Feldman
> co-chair, SIGAda Education Committee

Mark V System's ObjectMaker supports many Ada design notations (Booch,
Buhr, etc) and I know it has Ada code generation capabilites from the Buhr
diagrams.

_
       / Joseph Pecore                  USMail:	Vitro Corporation
__    /  Internet: jpecore@vitro.com    	Bldg. 4-2309
  \  /   Voice:    (301) 231-2788       	14000 Georgia Ave.
   \/    Fax:      (301) 231-1233		Silver Spring, MD 20906-2972

* Re: TOOLS USA Final program
@ 1993-05-27 18:18 Laurence VanDolsen
From: Laurence VanDolsen @ 1993-05-27 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

 Feldman) writes:
>>-------------
>>TOOLS USA 93 features  an  exhibit of state-of-the-art object orien-
>>ted technology. TOOLS encourages developers of object-oriented tools
>>and applications written using  object technology  to exhibit  their
>>latest projects in Santa Barbara.
>>
>>The current list of exhibitors includes:
>>
>>    * Mark V Sytems Ltd.
>>    * Object Technologies, Inc.
>>    * Smartstar Corporation
>>    * CGI
>>    * Easel Corporation
>>    * Unir Technology, Inc.
>>    * Sequiter Software Inc.
>>    * Interactive Software Engineering
>>    * Tower Technology
>>    * Dyad Software Corporation
>>    * NICE
>>    * Prentice Hall
>>    * Software Magazine
>>
>Lemme get the jump on Greg here.
>
>Sigh...where are the Ada tool companies?

Mark V Systems sort of counts, but it is sad that we don't see Verdix,
who isn't kissing anybody, Rational, who CLAIMS to be going after the
C++ and OO market, et all.  Oh well, maybe us dinosaurs ought to just go
fall in the mud.

* Re: TOOLS USA Final program
@ 1993-05-28  1:30 Michael Feldman
From: Michael Feldman @ 1993-05-28  1:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ege) writes:
>>>This is the final program for TOOLS USA 93 (Technology of Object-Oriented
>>>Languages and Systems), to be held in Santa Barbara (California),
>>>August 2-6, 1993.
>>>
>> [program stuff deleted]
>>>
>>>7. EXHIBITION
>>>-------------
>>>The current list of exhibitors includes:
>>>
>>>    * Mark V Sytems Ltd.
>>>    * Object Technologies, Inc.
>>>    * Smartstar Corporation
>>>    * CGI
>>>    * Easel Corporation
>>>    * Unir Technology, Inc.
>>>    * Sequiter Software Inc.
>>>    * Interactive Software Engineering
>>>    * Tower Technology
>>>    * Dyad Software Corporation
>>>    * NICE
>>>    * Prentice Hall
>>>    * Software Magazine
>>>
>> Lemme get the jump on Greg here.
>>
>> Sigh...where are the Ada tool companies?
>>

>Mark V System's ObjectMaker supports many Ada design notations (Booch,
>Buhr, etc) and I know it has Ada code generation capabilites from the Buhr
>diagrams.

Ah, OK, the news is better than I thought. I stand corrected.
Anybody going to this conferebce? Please let us know whether Mark V
_admits_ it does Ada.

Anybody see IDE (Software Through Pictures) ads recently? They like these
full-pagers in IEEE Software, etc. Nowhere in their ads do they admit they
have an Ada backend to their tool.

I had the misfortune to meet with some DoD types a while ago; there was
a C++ guy who discussed some C++ possibilities with these manager types;
I was invited to give the Ada "side". The C++ guy gushed about the power
of Software Through PIctures to generate C++. I asked whether he or anyone
else in the room was aware of the fact that IDE makes a pretty decent _Ada_
backend. "Uhhh....no, I wasn't aware of it," was the response.

An IDE principal told me the following week that he didn't think he needed
to advertise the Ada stuff he makes, because he sells mostly to project
managers in DoD who "know all about what we do." I told him my experience;
his answer was, more-or-less, "oops..., looks like we blew it"

The DoD types were about to commit to a design and language for a C3 system,
more-or-less in that order, but they were VERY concerned about the language.
They were basically trying to figure out how much trouble it would be to
get a waiver or otherwise circumvent the Mandate. They didn't have a clue
to their design yet, though, except that they'd been told that OO was a
Good Thing.

Oh - they asked me whether it was true that Ada did not support data
abstraction and information hiding. And they'll very soon be buying one of
tomorrow's C3 systems. We're in deep doo-doo, sports fans.

Mike Feldman

* Re: TOOLS USA Final program
@ 1993-05-28  4:32 Gregory Aharonian
From: Gregory Aharonian @ 1993-05-28  4:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

>Lemme get the jump on Greg here.
>
>Sigh...where are the Ada tool companies?
>
>Mike Feldman

Mike,
	You didn't jump far enough.  Where are all of the companies
taking STARS money to come up with betta-meta-programming stuff?
Where's John Foreman and all of the great breakthroughs he touts in
STARS newsletters?  Why are STARS contractors so embarrassed about
the quality and utility of the tools they are developing that they
refuse to participate in any non-Mandated tools and Case trade shows?
And why is this hypocrisy so tolerated with our tax dollars?  Shut down
STARS - it was founded on self-admitted lies, and what real businesses
consider normal business developments, the STARS program considers to
be great breakthroughs.

    Nice try though Mike with your jump.

Greg Aharonian
 Greg Aharonian
 Source Translation & Optimization
 P.O. Box 404, Belmont, MA 02178

* Re: TOOLS USA Final program
@ 1993-05-28 20:23 Laurence VanDolsen
From: Laurence VanDolsen @ 1993-05-28 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1993May28.013005.8296@seas.gwu.edu> mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu (Michael
Feldman) writes:

>I had the misfortune to meet with some DoD types a while ago;

>The DoD types were about to commit to a design and language for a C3 system,
>more-or-less in that order, but they were VERY concerned about the language.
>They were basically trying to figure out how much trouble it would be to
>get a waiver or otherwise circumvent the Mandate. They didn't have a clue
>to their design yet, though, except that they'd been told that OO was a
>Good Thing.
>
>Oh - they asked me whether it was true that Ada did not support data
>abstraction and information hiding. And they'll very soon be buying one of
>tomorrow's C3 systems. We're in deep doo-doo, sports fans.

Ah yes, and they will probably require SEI CMM Level 5 as a minimum
requirement to bid.   They will put in a key personnel requirement that
says that the program manager, the chief engineer, the software manager,
and each of the software technical leads shall have a minimum of twenty
years experience in developing large real-time systems in Ada.  In the
maintainability section of the specification they will require the
capablity to apply hexadecimal patches to the fielded software.  Ain't
it fun to deal with sophisticated customers?  :-)