* Re: Announce Group Desired?
@ 1993-05-07 14:35 Al an Quirt
From: Al an Quirt @ 1993-05-07 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <C6Ksuv.Iz9@dale.cts.com>, helkenn@dale.cts.com (David Helken)
wrote:

> On April 16, 1993, I posted a query about comp.lang.ada needing an "announce"
> group as comp.lang.ada.announce.

I like the idea. People who don't have time to read the whole group today
might still subscribe to the announcements.

An Announce group really ought to be moderated by someone not associated
with any vendor. Is anyone keen to volunteer?  And of course someone,
perhaps David Helken, has to take the group through the formal CFD and CFV
process.

... Al Quirt   (aquirt@bnr.ca)  ...
... just my opinions, of course ...

* Re: Announce Group Desired?
@ 1993-05-11 14:22 Dirk Craeynest
From: Dirk Craeynest @ 1993-05-11 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

writes:
>[...] a query about comp.lang.ada needing an "announce" group as
>comp.lang.ada.announce.  I thought it would be a good idea for the Ada
>community to have a centralized place to read announcements about Ada.

I strongly support this idea.

>Such things like:
>- press releases from vendors about their products/services
>- General announcements by the AJPO, AdaIC, repositories etc
>- Request for papers or announcing coming Ada conferences/seminars
>- General queries about available products/services from prospective
>customers/users of Ada.

Considering the amount of questions on Ada related products and
services such a group would be very useful.  It would also give all
organizations that are offering Ada products and services (commercial
or otherwise) a forum to make announcements, and to gain some
visibility (which is very much needed...).

>  I am willing to do what is necessary to start such a group,
>  especially if I can get help from the more experienced in such
>  matters;

As a first step in the newsgroup creation procedure (extracted from
"How to Create a New Usenet Newsgroup" in news.announce.newgroups):

  "a request for discussion on creation of [comp.lang.ada.announce]
   should be posted to news.announce.newgroups, and also to any other
   groups or mailing lists at all related to the proposed topic if
   desired."

During that discussion period (of 30 days), the name and charter of the
proposed group and whether it will be moderated or unmoderated (and if
the former, who the moderator(s) will be) should be determined.

>  but, I need to know how the general Ada rank and file, vendors,
>  others think about the idea.

IMHO, we should try to post a "request for discussion" as soon as
possible, to get the ball rolling ...

>  So, with a new (correct) address, I remain...
>         David Helkenn
>    e-mail: helkenn@dale.cts.com
>    Phone: (619):552-9500

Dirk Craeynest                    | domain: dirk@cs.kuleuven.ac.be
Ada-Belgium Newsletter Editor     | uucp:   dirk@kulcs.uucp
Katholieke Universiteit Leuven    |         ...!mcsun!ub4b!kulcs!dirk
Department of Computer Science    | phone:  ++32(0)16-201015 x3555
Celestijnenlaan 200 A             | fax:    ++32(0)16-205308
B-3001 Leuven (Heverlee), Belgium | telex: 23674 kuleuv b