* Intro to Ada OOP
@ 1993-03-25 14:39 jnestoriak
From: jnestoriak @ 1993-03-25 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've been loosely following the class vs tagged type "discussion"
and as someone who has only limited knowledge of OOP I must admit
that much of it was over my head.  Can anyone recommend a good
book/paper to introduce OO concepts as they will be implemented in
Ada 9X?

* These opinions are mine only.                     John Nestoriak *

* Re: Intro to Ada OOP
@ 1993-03-25 15:15 ` David Weller
From: David Weller @ 1993-03-25 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <19930325.064307.569@almaden.ibm.com> jnestoriak@vnet.IBM.COM writes:
>I've been loosely following the class vs tagged type "discussion"
>and as someone who has only limited knowledge of OOP I must admit
>that much of it was over my head.  Can anyone recommend a good
>book/paper to introduce OO concepts as they will be implemented in
>Ada 9X?

My best recommendation is to read the "Introducing Ada 9X" (Ada 9X Project
Report, Feb 1993).  You can obtain this by sending a request to the
Ada Information Clearing House at 800/AdaIC-11 or 703/685-1477.
It was primarily written by John Barnes, one of the key team
members of the original Ada syntax.

IMHO, it does a very good job of explaining all of the new features of
Ada 9X (including class-wide programming, which you've seen so
hotly debated on this newsgroup).  Pay particular attention to
the features that Ada 9X provides that C++ doesn't (and never will,
for one reason or another): Child libraries, Protected records, and
the Special Needs Annexes.

>* These opinions are mine only.                     John Nestoriak *

----You mean you actually THOUGHT I speak for my company? HAHAHAH! ----------
David Weller,     | Space Station Training Facility: Like the real
CAE-Link,         | thing, only you can step outside for a breath
Space Technology  | of fresh air!

* Re: Intro to Ada OOP  *CORRECTION*
@ 1993-03-25 20:24   ` Michele L. Kee (AdaIC)
From: Michele L. Kee (AdaIC) @ 1993-03-25 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1993Mar25.101532.3886@sei.cmu.edu> wellerd@ajpo.sei.cmu.edu (David Weller) writes:

><<jnestoriak@vnet.IBM.COM requests info on Ada 9X and OOP>>
>
>My best recommendation is to read the "Introducing Ada 9X" (Ada 9X Project
>Report, Feb 1993).  You can obtain this by sending a request to the
>Ada Information Clearing House at 800/AdaIC-11 or 703/685-1477.
>It was primarily written by John Barnes, one of the key team
>members of the original Ada syntax.
>

> <rest of text deleted>

The hardcopy of the Ada 9X Project Report, "Introducing Ada 9X"  will
be available from the Ada 9X Project Office.  For more information,
call (505) 846-0817.

The Ada Information Clearinghouse will be distributing the report
electronically.  However, we have not yet received a copy of the file.
When the report is available on the AJPO host computer, a general
announcement will be posted to comp.lang.ada
--
Ada Information Clearinghouse (AdaIC)		|  IIT Research Institute
703/685-1477, 800/AdaIC-11, FAX 703/685-7019	|  operates the AdaIC for

* Re: Intro to Ada OOP  *CORRECTION*
@ 1993-03-25 21:28     ` Mark A Biggar
From: Mark A Biggar @ 1993-03-25 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1993Mar25.152430.27059@sei.cmu.edu> adainfo@ajpo.sei.cmu.edu (Michele L. Kee (AdaIC)) writes:
>The hardcopy of the Ada 9X Project Report, "Introducing Ada 9X"  will
>be available from the Ada 9X Project Office.  For more information,
>call (505) 846-0817.

The hardcopies are now available, I got mine in the mail yesterday.

--
Mark Biggar
mab@wdl1.wdl.loral.com

* Re: Intro to Ada OOP
@ 1993-03-26 16:54 ` Michael Clark
From: Michael Clark @ 1993-03-26 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Object Oriented Design with Applications" by Grady Booch.
It is available at most major book stores, and provides object-oriented
design concepts and taxonomies using 4 major programming languages.
Good Luck!

			- Mike Clark
			  clarkm@slab.pr.erau.edu