From: matwood%peruvian.cs.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Mark Atwood)
Subject: Re: Ada cost breakpoints
Date: 21 Mar 93 12:01:21 MST
Date: 1993-03-21T12:01:21-07:00	[thread overview]

I've have been thinking about my own experiences with Ada, and other
programming languages, and program size.

In article <65260@mimsy.umd.edu> alex@cs.umd.edu (Alex Blakemore) writes:
>I have no study to point to, but from experience 500K SLOC is way too high
>for a minimum breakpoint to Ada.  The breakpoint depends on the complexity
>and number of people involved.  I dont know about you, but things start
>to seem complex to me much closer to 30K than 500K lines.
>Even 30K lines of C is a pretty frightening thought.

I'l say 30KLOC of C is frightning.  It is probably just me, but 5KLOC of
C starts going over my head in a real hurry, esp. when it is full of
"incantations" and commented like the BSD UNIX OS.  (I've seen some of
the source, so don't bother me about it.)

On the other hand, I'm working on a project that will probably come in
at just under 10KLOC of Ada, and I feel I understand it, and feel
comfortable calling it "small".

Mark Atwood                  :: Being a kitten is it's own excuse.
matwood@peruvian.cs.utah.edu ::
The University has enough problems without being blamed for mine.