* Re: Air Force helping to undermine Ada
@ 1993-03-14  0:08 Bob Munck
From: Bob Munck @ 1993-03-14  0:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <SRCTRAN.93Mar8175011@world.std.com>, srctran@world.std.com
(Gregory Aharonian) wrote:

>(quotes article about Air Force use of a Xerox program.) ...
>     Another beta user, the U.S. Air Force, is implementing a work
>flow system based on InConcert that specifies 1,400 tasks and 60
>applications and will be used by 10,000 people. (end of quote)
>
>    This is a good example of the beginning of the end of Ada inside
> the DoD ...

Ok, Greg, read this very carefully.  Try to concentrate.

Ada is mandated by DoD because a program that uses it cost less over
its full life cycle.  The larger the program and the longer the life
cycle, the higher the percentage saved.

DoD does not care if Xerox saves money or not.  Therefore there is no
reason for them to buy a bunch of object code that was created from
Ada rather than a bunch created from C, or C++, or BRUIN.

I personally think we are heading for a slow crisis because of the
mass of incomprehendable C that so many vendors are staking their
business upon.  There will come a time when the pile is no longer
maintainable, and the company will be in trouble.  Lotus went through
a crisis like this a few years ago, and the telephone companies are
going through it right now.  Proper use of Ada would help avoid this.

Greg, I have to wonder why you keep attacking STARS.  You never seem
to know much about the program, but you sure have an opinion of it!
I can only assume that your opinion is based on the same kind of logic
as that you demonstrated with the Xerox example.

Also, what make you think the Air Force project using InConcert is
software development?

Bob Munck

* Air Force helping to undermine Ada
@ 1993-03-10 13:35 Colin James 0621
From: Colin James 0621 @ 1993-03-10 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

The NetWorld article states that the USAF is using a commercial off the
software product.  In DoD it is standard operating procedure
to use COTS rather than constantly reinvent the wheel.

The comments attached to the article criticize the USAF for following
orders which have nothing to do with the mandated use of Ada.  Hence the
comments do not follow logically and are known as a non sequitor argument.

The comments are admittedly hysterical (NOTE:  the use of the word hysterical
here is not a flame), and may be better left for mass e-mail rather than a
moderated internet forum.

* Air Force helping to undermine Ada
@ 1993-03-08 22:50 Gregory Aharonian
From: Gregory Aharonian @ 1993-03-08 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

     A recent article in Network World show one way in which the DoD is
helping to undermine Ada acceptance.  I will quote from the article (without
losing its essence) [Network World 3/8/93, 33]:

    XSoft, a division of Xerox, last week announced document-based work flow
software called InConcert, which provides a graphical user interface that
makes it possible for end users to construct a variety of complex work
flow applications.  InConcert is client/server software that tracks and
coordinates all tasks in a work flow process and automatically delivers to
end users the business documents and applications they need to complete a
work flow task.  Its server runs on Suns and RS6000s, as well as its clients
along with MSWindows.
  The problem with many high-end work flow products, according to consultants,
is that they require programmers to build work flow applications using a high
level scripting language.  This slows down the development process and takes
end users out of the loop.  "InConcert's strength is its graphical work flow
design tool, which makes it possible for end users rather than programmers
to build work flow applications", says a consultant.
    XSoft, which developed InConcert using the C++ programming language, has
published more than 270 application program interfaces that enable end-users
to integrate thiry part products with InConcert.  Developers can also use
these APIs to embed software agents within InConcert that carry out processes

    Another beta user, the U.S. Air Force, is implementing a work flow
system based on InConcert that specifies 1,400 tasks and 60 applications and
will be used by 10,000 people.

   This is a good example of the beginning of the end of Ada inside the DoD
for two reasons.  First, the Generals in charge are more and more going to
see that the information processing needs can be meet by taking commercial
products that are "open" and adapting them to defense needs, commercial
products all being written in C/C++.  As 10,000 people and 60 applications
is a serious integration effort, comparable in scope to most other DoD
software efforts, one success makes it easier to do this again and again,
to the point where the Ada mandate becomes irrelevant.  It is impossible
for the DoD RIGHT NOW to achieve a similar work flow system relying one
any commercial or non-commercial system written in Ada.  As more and more
systems inside the DoD are based on C/C++ systems, the Mandate also becomes
uneconomical to retain.
   The second reason that the Generals will desert Ada is that the success
of these such efforts will get them to start asking what is going on with
efforts like STARS to create Ada technology that increasingly is falling
farther and farther behind the commercial world.  This questions the
competence of either Ada or Ada contractors, neither of which does much
good for retaining the Mandate.

    Thus my prediction: if you see more and more such stories about the
DoD solving its problems using C/C++ commercial software products, then
you know the handwriting will be on the wall for Ada.  Any given the
technology I see at the commercial trade shows, I would bet MY money on
seeing more and more such stories.

Greg Aharonian
Source Translation & Optimization

(In fact, maybe the DoD should change the name of the language.  When the
disease AIDS first became well known, a diet product pronounced the same
way changed its name because of confusion.  Given that most corporate
executives think of the sound "ada" as standing for the Americans with
Disabilites Act, are we not risking subconcious confusion for Ada as a
disabled language :-)
Greg Aharonian
Source Translation & Optimiztion
P.O. Box 404, Belmont, MA 02178