From: wellerd@ajpo.sei.cmu.edu (David Weller)
Subject: Re: The actual quote from the Post AAS article
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1993 23:15:02 EST
Date: 1993-03-12T23:15:02-05:00	[thread overview]

In article <1993Mar12.161548.6286@evb.com> pole@evb.com (Tom Pole) writes:
>In article <1no3fbINN3h7@umbc4.umbc.edu> berman@umbc.edu (Mike Berman) writes:
>>
>>[Quotes from the March 8th Washington Post article deleted]
>>
>>Any attempt to assert, based on the information in this article, that Ada
>>is the sole reason for failure, or even a major contributing factor, is
>>absurd. This project would have failed using any implementation
>>language.
>>

>The point is that these problems were known to be the major culprits
>in the "software crises" and Ada was supposed to solve them.
>
>		Thomas

I'll be nice (for once, eh, Mike?) and turn on my flamethrower, so instead,
I'll flic-my-bic:

Tom, you seem to imply that Ada holds _some_ blame in the AAS problems,
since you point out that Ada was supposed to solve many of them.  I would
appreciate it if you told us "netters" out here is you meant "solve"
to really mean "reduce", or if you actually meant to make some
unsupportable claim that Ada was supposed to genuinely solve the
software crisis.

In any case, this argument boils down to the issue of language choice.
Us "Ada Supporters" claim that any other language would have fared
just as badly (if not worse), precisely because NO OTHER language was
ever built to support systems on the scale Ada was.  This is not to
claim that one cannot build a large system in another language (say, C++),
but that doing so would require more resources.  THAT was the bottom
line with Ada -- the software crisis was "more complex systems with
(possibly) fewer resources", and Ada was designed to tackle such problems.

>>--
>>Mike Berman
>>University of Maryland, Baltimore County	Fastrak Training, Inc.
>>berman@umbc.edu					(301)924-0050
>

>--
>
>Thomas Pole

dgw