* The actual quote from the Post AAS article
@ 1993-03-11 19:21 Mike Berman
From: Mike Berman @ 1993-03-11 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

There have been a few posts referring to the 8 March Washington Post
article, "Out-of-Control Contract - How IBM's Effort to Modernize FAA's
Air Traffic Monitoring System Went Awry".

Out of a several hundred word (~60 column inch) article, Ada is mentioned
directly in one paragraph only:

	"Adding a further level of complexity was the
	government's insistence that the entire project be done using a
	new computer language called Ada. The federal government was
	attempting to control a muddle of incompatible software
	languages by standardizing, but many programmers had to learn
	the exotic language from scratch."

"... new ..."? "... exotic ..."?!?

The majority of the article talks of enormous requirements documentation,
high reliability requirements ("The FAA wanted extreme reliability in
the network. 'The system has to be up and available for all but three
seconds a year,' [IBM Federal Systems chairman] Ebker said."),
continually changing requirements, lack of testing, management
problems ("Middle-level IBM managers began on their own
authority to circumvent formal practices by which software is vetted
within the company before being allowed into use, Ebker said. 'The
problem is key individuals in key slots who didn't do their jobs'), and
lack of adeequate software tools.

The article is pretty straightforward in placing "blame" on all factors
taken in toto, not representing IBM's failures as failure due to the use
of Ada. In fact, it appears that the article's author knows little about
the language (or software engineering, or even programming, for that matter).
Let's face it, the "exotic" features of the language are the same or
less exotic than the features found in OOP languages.

Any attempt to assert, based on the information in this article, that Ada
is the sole reason for failure, or even a major contributing factor, is
absurd. This project would have failed using any implementation
language.

--
Mike Berman
University of Maryland, Baltimore County	Fastrak Training, Inc.

[parent not found: <1no3fbINN3h7@umbc4.umbc.edu*<1993Mar12.232510.7619@seas.gwu.edu>]
[parent not found: <1no3fbINN3h7@umbc4.umbc.edu*<1993Mar12.232510.7619@seas.gwu.edu*<1993Mar14.003649.24085@seas.gwu.edu>]
* Re: The actual quote from the Post AAS article
@ 1993-03-18  0:41 Robert I. Eachus
From: Robert I. Eachus @ 1993-03-18  0:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1993Mar16.145422.14034@cbnewsl.cb.att.com> willett@cbnewsl.cb.att.c
om (david.c.willett) writes:

  > It seems to me that the complexity of an ATC system would increase
  > similarly to the N-body problem from physics...

  There are two different problems here, the complexity of the
software, and the computational difficulties of a particular number of
planes in the same airspace.  Mike was talking about the first, David
about the second.  Both are involved here.

  The highest aircraft densities in the world occur over Southern
California and the Boston-Washington corridor.  Most of this traffic
is general aviation not commerical, but the ATC system still has to
deal with it.  However a much nastier problem is that with the long
traffic corridors in the US and in some cases, several parallel
corridors, all of this traffic can be concentrated in just a small
slice of the sky.  This is a particular problem with, for example the
approaches to Hartsfield in Atlanta.

   The complexity of the software to deal with these things does not
grow at the same rate as the mathematical complexity of the
computation, but you do need to use much more sophisticated algorithms
to keep the mathematical complexity under control.  Also the reality
of the situation is that only a few countries have or need more than
one enroute control center, and the distribution requirements do make
the problem much harder.

    Sorry to spend so much time contributing data not heat to the
discussion... :-)

--

					Robert I. Eachus

with Standard_Disclaimer;