From: cis.ohio-state.edu!magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu!zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu!uw
Subject: Re: testing Generics
Date: 11 Mar 93 00:22:22 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <8MAR199313194203@bambam> you write:
>In article <226@hathor.CSS.GOV>, jeffe@hathor.CSS.GOV (Jeff Etrick) writes...
>>I wanted to know what the net's opion on generic testing was.
>>
>>I believe a generic procedure should be simple enough to test using a
>>test
>>driver which multiply instantiates the procedure for each intended use. If
>>.... stuff deleted ...

>Part of the point of using a generic is that it reduces testing. If you
>have a generic that accepts a generic scalar type parameter, you do not
>need to test itwill all possible scalar types (a totally impossible task!);
>you only need to test it with representative samples from each class;
>integer, enumeration.
> ..... stuff deleted .....

If you design your components well, then the above statement applies to
non-scalar types as well.  I.e., you don't need to test with all
possible non-scalar types to be sure that it works correctly with
each (an equally impossible task).

See the arguement for "local certifiability" of the properties composability
and correctness in the following:

    Hollingsworth, J.E.
    "Software Component Design-for-Reuse: A Language-Independent
        Discipline Applied to Ada"
    August 1992

To get a copy, FTP to "archive.cis.ohio-state.edu" and login as
"anonymous", giving your own user id as password (e.g., "xy@abc.com").
Then "cd" to directory "pub/tech-report/TR1-1993" where you will find
a "README.txt" file and several compressed PostScript files
(approximately one per chapter of the dissertation).  You'll need to
get all these files.  You should read the "README.txt" file and follow
directions there.  Of course, make sure you uncompress all the other
files before attempting to preview or print them.

Cheers,

Joe
jholly@isu.indiana.edu