From: seas.gwu.edu!mfeldman@uunet.uu.net  (Michael Feldman)
Subject: Re: SIMTEL20 is going away
Date: 9 Jun 93 21:41:06 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <conn.739600856@wuarchive.wustl.edu> conn@wuarchive.wustl.edu (Richa
rd Conn) writes:

>The Ada Software Repository (ASR) on WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL is no longer
>operational. It is still available to users of the Internet, and it will
>continue to be available until the end of September, 1993.  No further
>changes will be made to it from this point forward.

...and...

>As you may have noted from the ASR FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) list,
>WUARCHIVE.WUSTL.EDU is a mirror site for the ASR.  Effective immediately,
>WUARCHIVE.WUSTL.EDU is now the principal site for PAL.  The existing ASR
>is a subdirectory tree under PAL.  The other mirror sites of the ASR will
>be notified of this change, and they will be invited to switch their mirror
>software over to PAL.

...and...

>Users familiar with UNIX should be pleased in that PAL is on an OSF/1
>machine.  UNIX naming conventions apply, so there is no longer a need to
>learn the TOPS-20 conventions used on SIMTEL20.  If a user wishes to
>access the ASR through PAL, he need only remember to do a simple
>translation: directories such as PD7:<ADA.COURSEWARE> on SIMTEL20 are
>now available as languages/ada/ASR/courseware or
>/archive/languages/ada/ASR/courseware on PAL.

...and...

>I am managing PAL as a voluntary, unfunded activity.  Space on WUARCHIVE
>is provided by Washington University at St. Louis.  Appreciation is
>given to DEC for their generous donation of the ALPHA AXP system that
>WUARCHIVE runs on.
>
>I look forward to continuing to work with the Ada community in this
>new capacity as the Manager of PAL.
>
>Richard Conn

I think this is a terrific development. Anyone who has tried to use
Simtel20 has discovered how the government (like some universities...)
runs old machines till they drop from exhaustion.

Rick does not mention that wuarchive will accept up to 250(!) simultaneous
anonymous ftp session. It is a big, fast machine. There's a lot more on
it than Ada, of course; it's got to be one of the biggest Internet
archive servers in the world, maybe the biggest (in terms of disk space
and number of ftp sessions).

Rick has a big round of applause coming from all of us for not giving up.
Au contraire, his Ada setup on wuarchive has great potential to be
the terrific free server we've all been dreaming of. Go for it, Rick!

Mike Feldman
Michael B. Feldman -  co-chair, SIGAda Education Committee
The George Washington University -  Washington, DC 20052 USA
202-994-5253 (voice) - 202-994-5296 (fax) - mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu (Internet)