From: asuvax!ennews!mcdphx!schbbs!tigger!tannen@gatech.edu  (David Tannen x8273
Subject: Re: INFO-ADA Digest V93 #359
Date: 9 Jun 93 19:30:03 GMT	[thread overview]

Greg,

When it comes to DoD and Ada reuse centers you are mostly correct.  I have used
my Asset account to both get software out of their repository and as a way
into the net.  I have had trouble locating software in the Asset repository,
their scheme for storing material is confusing (IMHO).  Fortunately they have
people who work there who care about helping Asset users get what they want.

It would be great if all DoD software was cataloged, sorted and stored in a
central repository.  Of course it would need a connection to Internet, plus som
dialup lines for folks to use with their modems.  It would also be helpful if
they could ship the software in CDROM, floppy disk (DOS,Mac, etc) or tapes of
various sizes and types.

But none of this is going to happen.  Too bad.  Everyone is protecting their
turf (i.e. Capitalism at its best - what is best for _ME_.)

BTW, it has been easier for me to get Pascal source code than Ada source code.

All I do is ask in comp.lang.pascal and the Prof who is managing an ftp site
tells me where to look.

Of course that comp.lang newsgroup has few flame wars vs this one. (Of course
I just added to the flamewar, oh well :)

David Tannen