* Re: a position paper for WAdaS; reactions by e-mail, please!
@ 1993-06-09 13:24 cis.ohio-state.edu!news.sei.cmu.edu!ae
From: cis.ohio-state.edu!news.sei.cmu.edu!ae @ 1993-06-09 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu (Michael Feldman) has offered us a position paper
on Ada in education, for presentation ad WAdaS.

An excellent position paper!

Two points:

 1. Participation in the U/I process was by competitive procurement.  As
    I remember, bidders were to be teams with a compiler vendor and an
    experienced Ada user.  Although the intent was benign enough, I
    agree that the effect was to rule out academic participation.

 2. Academics, as well as all others, are welcome to participate in the
    Volunteer Reviewer Program.  Indeed, there are quite a few academic
    participants, both in this country and overseas.

Art Evans
Arthur Evans, Jr                Volunteer Reviewer Coordinator
ada9x-vr@AJPO.SEI.CMU.Edu       Ada-9X Project
Arthur Evans, Jr, PhD           Ada Consultant
461 Fairview Road
Pittsburgh PA  15238-1933
412-963-0839
ae@sei.cmu.edu

* Re: a position paper for WAdaS; reactions by e-mail, please!
@ 1993-06-09 21:48 Michael Feldman
From: Michael Feldman @ 1993-06-09 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1993Jun9.092427.8077@sei.cmu.edu> ae@sei.cmu.edu (Arthur Evans) wri
tes:
>mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu (Michael Feldman) has offered us a position paper
>on Ada in education, for presentation ad WAdaS.
>
>An excellent position paper!
Thanks, Art!

>Two points:
>
> 1. Participation in the U/I process was by competitive procurement.  As
>    I remember, bidders were to be teams with a compiler vendor and an
>    experienced Ada user.  Although the intent was benign enough, I
>    agree that the effect was to rule out academic participation.
Who said there are no experienced users in academia? That's what I meant!
I realize the intent was benign, but it amounted to the same old myopia.
Is there a single U/I team user that's NOT a major DoD contractor? Doubtful.

> 2. Academics, as well as all others, are welcome to participate in the
>    Volunteer Reviewer Program.  Indeed, there are quite a few academic
>    participants, both in this country and overseas.
Oh, I know. But that's just reading documents.

Actually, I think it would be neat if you posted a list of the VR's!
Maybe it would give us encouragement if we saw our friends' names there!
(I'm NOT one. I'd rather just kibitz :-))

Mike Feldman