From: agate!howland.reston.ans.net!darwin.sura.net!seas.gwu.edu!mfeldman@ucbvax .Berkeley.EDU  (Michael Feldman)
Subject: Re: Non-defense Ada applications - answering several requests
Date: 5 Jun 93 22:22:09 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <1993Jun5.152022.12888@linus.mitre.org> m23588@mwunix.mitre.org (Ric
hard Conn) writes:
>One thing I've discovered is that Mike's list will probably never be
>complete.  Companies simply do not want to disclose any information
>they don't have to, especially in today's climate, which may give a
>competator a competative advantage if he has any kind of insight into what
>is going on internally.  Behind the scenes, I've seen many commercial
>Ada success stories that I can't talk about (proprietary nondisclosure).

I think it would be great if you could get permission from these companies
to reveal that they are using Ada, and only that. Or something in the
form of one of my 2-line listings. Maybe they would agree; you'll
never know till you try.

Another alternative that would not violate nondisclosure would be to
sanitize the project down to "a major bank has written its ATM system
in Ada" or something similar. Even that would help to dispel the myths.

>I'll wager there are many, many more.

Talking to the compiler vendors leads me to believe this. On the other
hand, they have a vested interest in a bit of hyperbole now and then.
('Course on the net, we NEVER indulge in hyperbole :-) :-) :-))

Mike Feldman
Michael B. Feldman
co-chair, SIGAda Education Committee

School of Engineering and Applied Science
The George Washington University
Washington, DC 20052 USA
(202) 994-5253 (voice)
(202) 994-5296 (fax)
mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu (Internet)

"The most important thing is to be sincere,
and once you've learned how to fake that, you've got it made."
-- old show-business adage