From: agate!howland.reston.ans.net!wupost!csus.edu!silicon.csci.csusb.edu!dick@ ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Dr. Richard Botting)
Subject: Re: MIS Applications in Ada?
Date: 2 Jun 93 20:13:24 GMT	[thread overview]

Dani Zweig (dani@netcom.com) wrote:
: We've been conducting research on the pros and cons of using Ada for
: MIS (AIS) applications, particularly within DoD.  So far, at least,
: we've been having trouble finding a track record to examine.  Presumably,
: we haven't been looking in the right places.

: Can anyone point me to MIS/Ada applications?

: I'm particularly interested in large, successful projects within the
: Department of Defense, but small projects or unsuccessful projects,
: or private-sector projects (or any combinations thereof) are also of
: interest.

It is highly probable that a competent DP/MIS shop would
reject Ada out of hand as being inappropriate for the job.

Ada 83 has a problem with MIS/DP applications that need a MONEY
data type.   Little things like exact fixed point decimal
arithmetic are needed by accountants and people alike!

In Ada 9x there is a commercial annex that - if provided -
should give a clumsy version of the COBOL 'MOVE' and 'COMPUTE'
verbs from the 1960's.

Disclaimer:  This my own a bee in my bonnet
	for which no organization has any responsibillity for.