From: cis.ohio-state.edu!magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu!math.ohio-state.edu!sdd.hp.c om!col.hp.com!csn!news.den.mmc.com!iplmail!jcrigler@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Jim C
Subject: Re: Ada 9X at OOPSLA '93 (Was Re: Gauntlet thrown:  OOPSLA program)
Date: 9 Jul 93 17:09:08 GMT	[thread overview]

David Weller (wellerd@ajpo.sei.cmu.edu) wrote in response to my
continuing Ada lament:
: In article <1993Jul9.124103.15018@iplmail.orl.mmc.com>
: jcrigler@theopolis.orl.mmc.com (Jim Crigler) writes:
: >Who are the Ada vendors exhibiting at OOPSLA?  So far,
: >one response, and that not an Ada vendor per se, but from a
: >workstation vendor who (correct me if I'm wrong) markets a
: >version of the Verdix compiler.  But no response from
: [several names listed]
: I don't understand this.  SGI, although a hardware vendor, will
: be demonstrating their Virtual Reality software written in Ada.
: In fact, they will be BRAGGING about that fact that it is in Ada.
: I would qualify this as an "Ada Exhibit Booth".

Thanks, David for the correction.  I was hoping I was wrong.

: You seemed to have pushed off SGI because they were "hardware", but
: you also listed: HP/Apollo, DEC, Concurrent, Convex, Cray,
: Encore, Harris, and IBM -- all hardware vendors

It was not my intent to `push off' anyone `vending' Ada.  I
just wanted to point out that no vendor for whom Ada is a
_primary_ business had responded.

: Rational, for instance, [...]
: will also be touting their new Apex development environment.

Good!

I leave you with David's final comments:

: The real business
: winners will be the Ada vendors that are SMART ENOUGH to have
: a booth at OOPSLA this year.  Many of the ones you've listed
: probably haven't caught on to the idea that the only way they
: can expand their business base it to demonstrate at conferences
: other than Ada love-ins, like WAdaS or Tri-Ada.

And additions to the list:

: Here is the list of Ada "promoters" that I know of so far
: at OOPSLA:
: 	Fastrak Training, Inc.
: 	Rational
: 	Silicon Graphics/Verdix
: Anybody want to add to it?

: Verdix.

Jim Crigler
Martin Marietta isn't responsible for my thoughts, which are independent.