From: magnesium.club.cc.cmu.edu!news.sei.cmu.edu!ajpo.sei.cmu.edu!wellerd@uunet .uu.net  (David Weller)
Subject: Re: Ada 9X at OOPSLA '93 (Was Re: Gauntlet thrown:  OOPSLA program)
Date: 9 Jul 93 15:38:35 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <1993Jul9.124103.15018@iplmail.orl.mmc.com> jcrigler@theopolis.orl.m
mc.com (Jim Crigler) writes:
>Who are the Ada vendors exhibiting at OOPSLA?  So far,
>one response, and that not an Ada vendor per se, but from a
>workstation vendor who (correct me if I'm wrong) markets a
>version of the Verdix compiler.  But no response from
[several names listed]
I don't understand this.  SGI, although a hardware vendor, will
be demonstrating their Virtual Reality software written in Ada.
In fact, they will be BRAGGING about that fact that it is in Ada.
I would qualify this as an "Ada Exhibit Booth".

You seemed to have pushed off SGI because they were "hardware", but
you also listed: HP/Apollo, DEC, Concurrent, Convex, Cray,
Encore, Harris, and IBM -- all hardware vendors.  If they were
there, would you discount them also?  I think what the folks at
the booth promote is more important than the name.  Rational, for
instance, was at OOPSLA last year, but never really mentioned
the A-word as its sales pitch (they were selling ROSE and the
Booch Components for C++).  This year will be different, as they
will also be touting their new Apex development environment.

Finally, there is somewhat of an impression that OOPSLA is more
of an academic conference among the well-established Ada vendors.
This is, of course, the wrong impression.  The real business
winners will be the Ada vendors that are SMART ENOUGH to have
a booth at OOPSLA this year.  Many of the ones you've listed
probably haven't caught on to the idea that the only way they
can expand their business base it to demonstrate at conferences
other than Ada love-ins, like WAdaS or Tri-Ada.

Here is the list of Ada "promoters" that I know of so far
at OOPSLA:
	Fastrak Training, Inc.
	Rational
	Silicon Graphics/Verdix
Anybody want to add to it?

Verdix.

--
-Comments above aren't neceessarily the opinion of the SEI, AJPO, or CAE-Link-
David Weller  |  Have you hugged your DRAGOON lately?