From: newsflash.concordia.ca!nstn.ns.ca!dragon.acadiau.ca!841613t@uunet.uu.net  (Don Tyzuk)
Subject: Re: Anyone else actually like Ada?
Date: 26 Jul 93 21:38:28 GMT	[thread overview]

I like Ada.

I also like reading Greg's posts; he has brought forward
some good points and food for thought.  I suspect that he
is an Ada-fan in the closet. ;-)

Even the world's only true patriot (Ted Holden) has the
right to speak his mind.  After all, I have the right to
groan when I read his posts.  You can't help but like a
guy that gives you opening's for world class zingers...

Ada is meant for large projects.  Do we believe that magazine
promotion of a particular software development system will
influence the project managers' choice?  I hope not.  I would
like to think that the systems industry is aware of Ada and
that it will be adopted on its own merits.

In the long run, Ada will have to stand on its own two feet.  It
is apparent from Greg's posts that despite a "mandate", other
choices are being made.  Am I the only person who is interested
in why this is happening?

Back here in Nova Scotia, there are a few hundred programmers
employed working for the Canadian Forces, both as civilians
and in uniform.  Many of those uniformed positions will be
contracted out as the military downsizes.  Some work in Ada
is now being done by them, and that Ada is the future.

I have suggested that we adopt Ada at Acadia University, as
opposed to Modula-2.  There is some interest in this, and I have
been asked to be the semi-official "Ada-keeper" on the system
and to make a presentation. This I will do in October or
November.  For now, however, we are Modula-2 bound.  If the
local employment situation changes to a demand for Ada experts,
we will re-consider Ada for CS1, CS2, etc. _I_ think the writing
is on the wall.  Eventually there will be a sea change in
large scale programming environments to replace FORTRAN and
COBOL.

Whatever, I suggest that at least Ada will takeover a large
chunk of gov't work.  But, perhaps, not all.

Don