* Re: McCabe's and other Measures
@ 1993-07-17 21:44 J on Duncan Hagar
From: J on Duncan Hagar @ 1993-07-17 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Re Articles on McCabe's Cyclomatic Complexity and measures
<rest deleted>
>In all honesty, McCabe's Cyclomatic Complexity does have some problems, since
>it does not (in original form) address data sensitizing and its level of
>coverage has been argued.  I would be very interested in other forms that
>people are using to measure complexity.  We have used both McCabe,
>LOC (5 kinds) and Halstead in our Complexity Measures Tool (CMT) and have
>found McCabe to be the second most widely used (Lines of Code as
>always is still the primary measure).  We are looking into other metrics now
>and would appreciate any comments other people have had.  It would be nice to
>bring some technical discussions to comp.lang.ada that would be worthy of
>crossposting :-)
>
>Brandon Goldfedder
>Director of Training and Consulting
>EVB Software Engineering, Inc.

In general measurement of software seem a tricky issue.  Measurement is
certainly topical, but what do they really tell us.  Some say measurement
should predict or indicate something (like will the thing be measured work).
McCabeUs does have some predication power by identifying segments of
code that are maybe more complex, and therefore maybe more prone to error
(because humans make more mistakes as complexity increases).  But this is
not an absolute like the way an "out of tolerance" measurement on a piece of
hardware is (the bolt will not fit if the hole is to small).  A McCabe's
Cyclomatic Complexity factor over the "magic" number (10 on some
projects) can be okay, e.g. if you are dealing with a CASE statement in Ada.
So, in my mind, current software measures are mostly indicators only and lack
absolute prediction power.  We should use them, but understand what they
are, what their limits are, and when to blow them off.  My fear would be
management by numbers that blindly treats them like hardware measures (out
of tolerance => trash bin).  The articles so far have hit the standard measures

(I canUt name the others right now, I'll let that for some other time, if this
thread continues or the measurement researchers out there can fill this in).

--
Jon Hagar,  Mail Stop-H0512                  hagar@den.mmc.com
Martin Marietta Astronautics                (303) 977-1625

only message in thread, other threads:[~1993-07-17 21:44 UTC | newest]