From: cis.ohio-state.edu!news.sei.cmu.edu!ajpo.sei.cmu.edu!wellerd@ucbvax.Berke ley.EDU  (David Weller)
Subject: Re: Admiral Tuttle
Date: 12 Jul 93 10:51:47 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <C9u00x.Jx3@dswe.navy.mil.nz> jolse@dswe.navy.mil.nz writes:
>It has been my experience that the problem with adoption of tools (lower-case
>anyway) is brought about by the Ada library mechanism.  A standard set of tool
>I have will work fine with most languages such as C, FORTRAN, Pascal etc but w
ill
>not operate with Ada because of those strange things I know nothing about that
 the
>compiler stores away in hidden files.

C, FORTRAN, and Pascal don't store semantic information about your code.
This is one of the features that makes Ada so different from other languages.
What it translates into is that you discover interfacing problems during
compile-time, rather than run time.

The Ada Semantic Interface Specification (ASIS) should relieve the problem
you're talking about, at least between vendors of Ada compilers.  I believe
there is more information about the ASIS in the FAQ or anonymous ftp to
ajpo.sei.cmu.edu.

--
-Comments above aren't neceessarily the opinion of the SEI, AJPO, or CAE-Link-
David Weller  |  Have you hugged your DRAGOON lately?