From: noc.near.net!inmet!ryer@uunet.uu.net  (Mike Ryer)
Subject: Re: CPU resources for embedded Ada programs
Date: 4 Jan 93 20:20:01 GMT	[thread overview]

Regarding the statistic of 1MB RAM per 20k SLOC

   If you are counting full Ada Statements+Declarations, then 50 bytes
   each seems high.  This could be due to very intricate Ada statements,
   a lot of big buffers, tables, and other data areas, or a lousy compiler.

   If you are counting just plain lines, then 50 bytes per line indicates
   either pathological coding practices, gargantuan buffers, or a truly
   pathetic compiler.

   Most applications I've seen result in 3 to 6 machine instructions per
   executable statement, and 2 to 3 words per declaration.  I'd expect
   20k statements+declarations to yield about 500k.  20k lines should yield
   about 200k.

Regarding the statistic of 3 MIPS per 20k SLOC

   I'd expect anything between .00000001 and 1,000,000.  It depends on what
   you're doing.

Mike Ryer