From: agate!spool.mu.edu!sdd.hp.com!usc!cs.utexas.edu!milano!cobweb.mcc.com!bre land@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Mark A. Breland)
Subject: Re: Why and how do organizations select th
Date: 25 Jan 93 19:49:07 GMT	[thread overview]

In article 24696@alice.att.com, bs@alice.att.com (Bjarne Stroustrup) writes:
>mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu (Michael Feldman @ George Washington University) writes
>
>> The point was not to tar OO experts as windbags,
>
>I didn't think you were, though of course SOME are.
>
>> but to comment on the
>> state of things. The customer in this case is thrashing around, has
>> little knowledge of what's happening in the field, and is making purely
>> political/religious statements. My distress came from the fact that
>> the organization didn't seem really interested in finding out more
>> or get really educated.
>
>and that's the real rub. Many organizations and people are so busy
>``getting the job done'' or jumping on some bandwagon that they don't
>want to take the time to learn anything new.

Careful now, the overtaxed people trying to get their job done usually
would give anything to learn something new that will ease their workload.
Unfortunately, they don't have the time due to the overload imposed
by management or other programmatic dilemmas.  However, I'll agree with
you that bandwagon-jumpers do tend to slide into new threads pretty
superficially without considering the conceptual ramifications.

---
Mark A. Breland - Microelectronics and Computer Technology Corporation (MCC)
Ada Fault Tolerance                               | voice:    (512) 338-3509
3500 West Balcones Center Drive                   | FAX:      (512) 338-3900
Austin, Texas 78759-6509   USA                    | internet: breland@mcc.com