From: asuvax!ennews!enuxha.eas.asu.edu!koehnema@gatech.edu  (Harry Koehnemann)
Subject: Re: Why and how do organizations select the OO
Date: 25 Jan 93 15:59:37 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <1993Jan22.203706.29355@seas.gwu.edu> mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu (Michael
 Feldman) writes:

>    They hired a _really_ big-name consultant (NOT a professor, Mark!)
>    to teach them his OO methodology and take a first crack at a design
>    for them. After collecting a very large fee, he walked away from the
>    project, leaving behind what they say is an unworkable design.
>    Conceivably we (I and another professor friend) will get involved
>    helping them sort it all out. Might be fun.

Interesting.  I saw the same thing out here.  A friend of mine works at
a company (also nameless) developing a very large real-time system.  There
were many variables in this project  - new processor, new language (Ada),
very large project, drastically reduced cycle time, and new development
method (OO) - ie. lots of risk.  They had hired a consultant to help in
specification and design who basically told them that "if you're going to
use Ada, you have to use OO spec/design"  Hmmm.  Does Ada preclude other
design methods?  You can't get encapsulation/info hiding from other
methodologies?

Of course, everyone followed the consultant.  Not because he was right
(although he may have been), but because I'm sure no one in a decision
making power really knew any better.  As you say it's kindof like
religion - like the congregation following the preacher and assuming
it's his responsibility to get them to heaven.

BTW, last I heard it's behind schedule and way over budget - imagine that.
Too many variables for onw project.
--
Harry Koehnemann			Arizona State University
koehnema@enuxha.eas.asu.edu		Computer Science Department