From: usenet.ins.cwru.edu!howland.reston.ans.net!bogus.sura.net!darwin.sura.net !seas.gwu.edu!mfeldman@gatech.edu  (Michael Feldman)
Subject: Re: Comments on Ada vs. C++ panel
Date: 4 Feb 93 17:59:35 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <1009.237.uupcb@nitelog.com> michael.hagerty@nitelog.com (Michael Ha
gerty)  writes:

[stuff deleted]

>At the risk of offending those who foam up merely thinking of a comparison,
>this is my view of what happened at the ASEET panel.

I think everyone who was there would share your assessment.

>It was very tame, tame indeed.  One of the panelists was on the C++ standards
>committee and admittedly was mostly ignorant of Ada-9X.  Hard to fault him
>for that; when you are on a standards committee, the whole world begins to
>narrow on down.  Nonetheless, he did a creditable job of presenting C++ and
>a weak job of highlighting the warts on Ada/Ada-9X.

Right. I think he was in fact kinder to Ada than I would have expected,
especially given the flame wars on the net. Schwarz's comparison, in fact,
showed that Ada (especially Ada9X) and C++ really have more similarity
than they have difference. We tend to argue a lot about issues that are
really at the margin. He pointed out e.g. that even in the C++ world,
multiple inheritance is controversial and perhaps unnecessary for
most applications. Don't forget that Schwarz really comes from the
LISP/Scheme world, and so for him, comparing Ada and C++ is not really
that much of a comparison.

>The criticisms of C++ were mostly of the variety, "C++ would be a really nice
>language, IFF you could disable the user's ability to use C."  As most users
>already know, this is the big downside to C++.  Unfortunately, the desired
>ability to limit the use of C in C++ is not possible and thus the rivalry
>continues unabated.

Right. IMHO the rivalry is mostly unwarranted. The two languages are
similar enough that almost anything we want to do is possible (and,
probably, cost-effective) in either language. Many in the DoD world
are expending tremendous effort to circumvent the Ada mandate and use
C++. They will no doubt discover that the language was not the issue,
so they might better have devoted that energy to learning and using Ada.

>The interesting pitch for Ada was centered around the argument that Ada is
>a superior language for software engineering as it supports most cleanly
>these concepts.  It was interesting, as I said, but the pitch was delivered
>only to the choir.

ASEET had perhaps 100 attendees. Indeed the sermon was delivered to the
converted. Will there be such a panel at OOPSLA? The next OOPSLA actually
wants to emphasize Ada more, so here is the chance we've been waiting for
to make the congregation bigger.

Mike Feldman
Michael B. Feldman
co-chair, SIGAda Education Committee

School of Engineering and Applied Science
The George Washington University
Washington, DC 20052 USA
(202) 994-5253 (voice)
(202) 994-5296 (fax)
mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu (Internet)

"Americans want the fruits of patience -- and they want them now."