From: cis.ohio-state.edu!math.ohio-state.edu!howland.reston.ans.net!torn!nott!n etfs!news@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (DON BERRYMAN)
Subject: Re: GNAT on NT anybody
Date: 27 Aug 93 18:16:38 GMT	[thread overview]

In <1993Aug27.024824.21373@seas.gwu.edu> mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu writes:

> In article <1993Aug26.154913.25742@enterprise.rdd.lmsc.lockheed.com> bschiff@
stc.lockheed.com writes:
> >Has anybody tried to use GNAT on NT or anything else yet? If so hows it goin
g?

> This question makes me wonder if anyone has yet tried to _port_ GNAT.
> It's an interesting process, because GNAT is written in Ada, not C.
> One could bootstrap it by using a commercial Ada compiler - NYU first
> compiled GNAT with Alsys. This process was documented in an NYU post
> a while ago.
>
> But that's no fun - it requires a commercial compiler. An all-GNU
> approach is to use the gcc cross-compilation facilities. If a GNU
> SPARC-to-Sun3 cross exists (just to take one example), then one compiles
> GNAT on the SPARC, takes the assembly language output to the Sun-3
> and re-assembles. It is alleged to be fairly easy if you're an
> experienced gcc hand.
>
> Once GNAT is ported, new versions can be built from the new sources, because
> GNAT can compile itself.
>
> Mike Feldman

What about the Run-Time System? Not all UNIXs are the same. Will this
not requite custom fiddling on a system by system bases? Sure if
you've done one SYSTEM V or BSD the others might be easy, but it will
require some wizardry. Now image the problems of going to VMS or MVS.

Don Berryman
Defence Research Establishment Pacific
Canadian Forces Base Esquimalt
Victoria, BC, CANADA, V0S-1B0