* OO Metrics
@ 1993-08-18 22:19 cis.ohio-state.edu!magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu!math.ohio-state.edu!cs.utexa
From: cis.ohio-state.edu!magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu!math.ohio-state.edu!cs.utexa @ 1993-08-18 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Can anyone tell me what type of metrics they are collecting for their OO projec
ts?

I remember seeing something here (comp.object) a while back.  I have a very sho
rt
description of Proposed metrics for OO Design by Chidamber & Kemerer @ MIT.

Does anyone know where this short description came from? Did anything come of i
t?

Hints and Rumors accepted.

---
||   Bill Hope			 || All Opinions are personal and have not  ||
||   ESA - Software Automation	 ||    been approved by Upper Management.   ||
||   Texas Instruments, Inc.	 ||                                  	    ||
||   email: wehope@dseg.ti.com   || Any Facts are Facts as I know them;	    ||
||   voice: 214.995.5618         ||    Others may have more accurate Facts. ||

* Re: OO Metrics
@ 1993-08-20 20:05 cis.ohio-state.edu!magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu!math.ohio-state.edu!sdd.hp.c
From: cis.ohio-state.edu!magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu!math.ohio-state.edu!sdd.hp.c @ 1993-08-20 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1993Aug18.221935.4581@mksol.dseg.ti.com>, wehope@ews7.dseg.ti.com (
Bill Hope) writes:
> Can anyone tell me what type of metrics they are collecting for their OO proj
ects?

> I remember seeing something here (comp.object) a while back.  I have a very s
hort
> description of Proposed metrics for OO Design by Chidamber & Kemerer @ MIT.
>
> Does anyone know where this short description came from? Did anything come of
 it?

> Hints and Rumors accepted.
>
> ---
> ||   Bill Hope			 || All Opinions are personal and have
not  ||
> ||   ESA - Software Automation	 ||    been approved by Upper Managemen
t.   ||
> ||   Texas Instruments, Inc.	 ||                                  	    ||
> ||   email: wehope@dseg.ti.com   || Any Facts are Facts as I know them;
> ||   voice: 214.995.5618         ||    Others may have more accurate Facts. |

As stated in article 7157 by Roger Whitney, the original reference is:
S.R.Chidamber and C.F.Kermerer, "Towards a Metrics Suite for Object Oriented
Design", OOPSLA'91 Conference Proceedings, published as a special issue
of SIGPLAN Notices, 26(11), Oct.1991, pp.197-211

A recent article recaps these 6 metrics and adds 3 more metrics then summarizes
the metrics for their project. Its reference is:
RC.Sarble and S.S.Cohen, "The Object-Oriented Brewery: A Comparison of Two
Object-Oriented Development Methods", ACM SIGSOFT, 18(2), Apr.1993, pp.60-73

We intend to collect the same metrics on our project.  I would also be interest
ed
if there are any other OO specific metrics that people are using and would
recommend collecting.  Thanks!

Roger Kelly
Martin Marietta Management and Data Systems
email: kelly@sde.mdso.vf.ge.com
voice: (215)354-1853