From: cis.ohio-state.edu!magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu!math.ohio-state.edu!sdd.hp.c
Subject: Re: Exceptions in Declarative Region
Date: 13 Aug 93 04:16:31 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <1993Aug13.024920.22726@scf.loral.com> bashford@srs.loral.com (Dave
Bashford) writes:
>In article ... mab@dst17.wdl.loral.com (Mark A Biggar) writes:
>If an exception occurs in the elaboration of a global package or the
>declaritive part of a main subprogram, there doesn't appear to be any
>way for the program to catch the exception and the user will get the
>cryptic and probably useless error message generated by the Ada runtime
>kernal. Is this true or am I missing something ?

Basically, this is true.  When an exception is raised in the elaboration
of any of those areas, the execution is not yet in any scope that you can
define an exception handler, so they will propogate to the run time without
getting caught.

There is no way out of this.  As was pointed out earlier, if an exception
is raised here, the state of the program is too "out of control" to have
any real meaningful things to handle.

The error message should not be too obscure.  Such a situation should be
discovered during testing, and the compiler (at least the ones I've used)
will give you the location of the exception.

--
Mark Atwood                  | My school and employer have too many problems
matwood@peruvian.cs.utah.edu | without being blamed for mine.