* Is Ada9X represented at CORBA efforts?
@ 1993-08-10 17:38 Gregory Aharonian
From: Gregory Aharonian @ 1993-08-10 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

     The Object Management Group (located near me in Framingham) has been
developing some technology called CORBA - Common Request Broker Architecture.
CORBA will be used to achieve commonality between various object oriented
languages and products.
     Everyone in the C++ and Smalltalk worlds are participating in this:
HP, IBM, Novell, Sun, etc, with the OMG having over two hundred member
companies, only one or two from the Ada world.
     While I have seen endless articles on CORBA, none ever mention Ada or
Ada9X, and no references to any of the Ada9X companies or contractors.

     Thus my question, is anyone from the Ada9X community making sure that
CORBA research and development is being made compatible with Ada9X?  I
just noticed OMG will be releasing an RFP for version 2 of CORBA, and have
yet to see any relevant Ada action.
 Greg Aharonian                                      srctran@world.std.com
 Source Translation & Optimization                            617-489-3727
 P.O. Box 404, Belmont, MA 02178

* Re: Is Ada9X represented at CORBA efforts?
@ 1993-08-10 19:03 Ed Matthews
From: Ed Matthews @ 1993-08-10 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <CBK0zr.GHB@world.std.com> srctran@world.std.com (Gregory Aharonian)
 writes:
>     The Object Management Group (located near me in Framingham) has been
>developing some technology called CORBA - Common Request Broker Architecture.
>CORBA will be used to achieve commonality between various object oriented
>languages and products.
>     Everyone in the C++ and Smalltalk worlds are participating in this:
>HP, IBM, Novell, Sun, etc, with the OMG having over two hundred member
>companies, only one or two from the Ada world.
>     While I have seen endless articles on CORBA, none ever mention Ada or
>Ada9X, and no references to any of the Ada9X companies or contractors.
>
>     Thus my question, is anyone from the Ada9X community making sure that
>CORBA research and development is being made compatible with Ada9X?  I
>just noticed OMG will be releasing an RFP for version 2 of CORBA, and have
>yet to see any relevant Ada action.

Certainly a number of us in the Ada community are following, if not
participating in, the CORBA goings-on.  The object request broker
architecture is more or less independent of any language.  I have
pointed out that their binding approach (C bindings relying on varargs,
etc) may not be the best for Ada, but bindings do not an architecture make.

What do you think "relevant Ada action" is?
--
Ed Matthews, Manager of CASE Engineering                   edm@verdix.com
Verdix Corporation Headquarters

* Re: Is Ada9X represented at CORBA efforts?
@ 1993-08-11  5:38 agate!howland.reston.ans.net!sol.ctr.columbia.edu!news.kei.com!ub!dsinc!g
From: agate!howland.reston.ans.net!sol.ctr.columbia.edu!news.kei.com!ub!dsinc!g @ 1993-08-11  5:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1993Aug10.190349.15949@verdix.com> edm@verdix.com (Ed Matthews) wri
tes:
>but bindings do not an architecture make.

True, but a poorly developed architecture can make a binding designer's
life truly miserable:  That is, it may be difficult to produce an Ada
oriented binding (tasking safe, etc.) which retains competitive performance
characteristics.

Of course, as we have found out, such things hurt all languages.  C threads
cause UNIX to break in serious ways.

>What do you think "relevant Ada action" is?

Develop an Ada binding concurrently with the C binding so that they are
published concurrently and the inter-language nand langauge-specific issues
can be worked out up front instead of after the fact.

While CORBA maybe relatively "language independent" there is no such thing
as true language-independence.