* Is General Kind the harbinger of doom for the Mandate?
@ 1993-03-31  4:40 Gregory Aharonian
From: Gregory Aharonian @ 1993-03-31  4:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

     It would help those of us who can't afford to goto Ada conferences if
those who did go could report on them here on comp.lang.ada.  Especially
when juicy tidbits of Pentagon policy are floated at the conference.

     Case in point is a recent sign of the Pentagon laying the grounds for
the repeal of the Ada Mandate.  As some of you will recall, DARPA started
this last fall by publicly commenting that it didn't matter one way or
another which language was used for its programs.

     More recent are the comments of Lt. Gen Peter Kind, director of
information systems for command, control, communications and computers,
who said at the 11th Ada technical conference a few weeks ago (as
reported in the March 29, 1993 issue of Government Computer News):

	"We need to stop the language free-for-all and make an
         unbiased analysis of DoD needs.  Put the Ada
	 controversy to bed and clearly articulate"   ... what
	 the demand for Ada products is.
	 Object orientation is needed, he said, and the Defense
	 Department should give C++, Modula and CASE tools
	 "their full day in court" in assessing where Ada stands.
	 But he said he doesn't believe that "if you use CASE
	 tools, you don't need Ada".
	 "We're not going to make a huge change overnight, as I
	 see it".
	 "We're hearing calls to abandon Ada from DoD officials",
	 he said.  "I'm asking contractors to assess it, and
	 they say it does what's needed, but they can't get
	 enough programmers".

	Imagine that, DoD officials calling to abandon Ada. Give C++ and
Modula a chance to prove their case.  Not enough Ada programmers being
supplied by the free markets.  Ask for an UNBIASED analysis  (Sure, go call
the Mosemann study contractors).  Gee, I say these things and Bob Munck calls
me a clown.  Would it help if I started wearing a uniform?  Or just had a
checkbook?

	Even wrapped with a more upbeat message on Ada (as I heard through
the grapevine that he gave), given that watching DoD politics is like watching
Kremlin politics, his comments reflect something is going on inside the DoD.
I wonder if the Ada people in England can place bets at Lloyds on the future
of the Ada Mandate.

        Someone better tell the general the dangers of an unbiased analysis,
when the conclusion of a very biased study, the Mosemann reports - TRW part,
concluded that within five years Ada and C++ would be equally economical
for the DoD to use for life cycle systems (or didn't anyone actually read the
Mosemann reports). Imagine how much less time an unbiased study would analyze.

	And I still don't see anyone from Ada9X or STARS at public trade
shows and conferences pushing Ada83 or Ada9X, supporting the language, or
even mentioning the language.  Nothing in the press, no donations to the
universities to seed the future (go ask Harris about their recent nine
million donation of hardware).  Nothing, nothing, NoThInH, nOtHiNg, about
Ada anywhere outside of the Mandated world where they have to spend their
own money.

	And people call me a clown.  Not that I am not, but I sure ain't
alone.  With overwhelming funding, and overwhelming staff, and overwhelming
mandates, you think the leaders of the Ada movement would successfully
deploy their forces and win the programming language battle.  Maybe we
should rename Ada to  "McClellan".

Greg Aharonian
Source Translation & Optimization

P.S. And so they will not feel left out, but could someone go to and give
CPR to the ASSET staff.  Maybe when they revive they can post to c.l.a.
a review of what they are doing, the contents of their repository and
periodic postings about new components that they receive.  While you are
there, explain what CDROMs are, why capitalists believe in marketing and
why their component schema makes little business sense.
Greg Aharonian
Source Translation & Optimiztion
P.O. Box 404, Belmont, MA 02178

* Re: Is General Kind the harbinger of doom for the Mandate?
@ 1993-03-31 13:36 jnestoriak
From: jnestoriak @ 1993-03-31 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

>	 "We're hearing calls to abandon Ada from DoD officials",
>	 he said.  "I'm asking contractors to assess it, and
>	 they say it does what's needed, but they can't get
>	 enough programmers".

>Not enough Ada programmers being
>supplied by the free markets.

I've heard this complaint of "not enough Ada programmers" over and
over here.  Is this really the case?  It seems to me that a shortage
of programmers for a particular language is always contrived.  Anyone
who graduates from a decent University with a degree in Computer
Science who can't learn a new programming language in less than a
month must have slept through too many classes.  Is it really
unreasonable to expect employers to give a few weeks of education
to their new hires (whether experience or from school)?  I'd like to
think I'm a genius because I was able to quickly learn "that
terribly complex and hard to understand" language Ada, but I get the
feeling that it's not too rare an ability.

* These opinions are mine only.                     John Nestoriak *

* Re: Is General Kind the harbinger of doom for the Mandate?
@ 1993-03-31 21:14 ` Joshua Levy
From: Joshua Levy @ 1993-03-31 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <19930331.054448.56@almaden.ibm.com> jnestoriak@vnet.IBM.COM writes:
>>	 "We're hearing calls to abandon Ada from DoD officials",
>>	 he said.  "I'm asking contractors to assess it, and
>>	 they say it does what's needed, but they can't get
>>	 enough programmers".
>
>>Not enough Ada programmers being supplied by the free markets.
>
>I've heard this complaint of "not enough Ada programmers" over and
>over here.  Is this really the case?  It seems to me that a shortage
>of programmers for a particular language is always contrived.  Anyone
>who graduates from a decent University with a degree in Computer
>Science who can't learn a new programming language in less than a
>month must have slept through too many classes.  Is it really
>unreasonable to expect employers to give a few weeks of education
>to their new hires (whether experience or from school)?

Another way of put it is this:  There is a shortage of programmers who
want to learn (or work in) Ada.

Obviously most programmers could learn Ada if they wanted to.  If not
in days, then certainly in weeks.  Back when military programming was
a growing business, lots of programmers were willing to learn Ada.
But now, with military programming as a shrinking business, and little
interest in Ada programmers from the commercial world, why should
programmers take a jobs which requires them to learn Ada?

Joshua Levy  (joshua@veritas.com)

* Re: Is General Kind the harbinger of doom for the Mandate?
@ 1993-03-31 21:17 ` Robert I. Eachus
From: Robert I. Eachus @ 1993-03-31 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <19930331.054448.56@almaden.ibm.com> jnestoriak@vnet.IBM.COM writes:

  > Anyone who graduates from a decent University with a degree in
  > Computer Science who can't learn a new programming language in less
  > than a month must have slept through too many classes.  Is it
  > really unreasonable to expect employers to give a few weeks of
  > education to their new hires (whether experience or from school)?

     Teaching Ada to anyone who knows software engineering is a
non-issue.  If you find software engineers today who don't know Ada,
it takes a week or two for them to learn the syntax.  However, such
people are becoming very rare...if they are good software engineers,
they have probably already learned Ada.  (Ten years ago the situation
was different, and a lot of us had the experience of teaching Ada to
good software engineers who had never been exposed to it.  It was
fun.)

      On the other hand software engineering currently is not, and may
never be, a science.  It requires among other things an ability to
recognize quality, or the lack of it.  About ten years ago I taught a
"random sample" of assembly language programmers Ada along with two
other instructors.  We each independently estimated that thirty
percent of the class would NEVER be productive Ada programmers.  (And
even though this was an eclectic group of students, they were all
working full-time as programmers.)

     Now from painful experience, I know that that class was selected
from a population which had a much higher percentage of potential
software engineers than most defence contractors.  (Or for that matter
most programming shops.  A computer manufacturer who develops and
supports their own operating systems and compilers needs a much higher
percentage of top drawer staff than an application house where
semaphores are things you see along railroads.)

     So when you insist on Ada, the what does a contractor do, if all
of his software engineers are already working on (mandated) Ada
projects?  Just think of it as evolution in action.  It ain't nice, it
ain't easy, but, in time, all the remaining quality-blind hackers will
be retired, writing video games, or flipping hamburgers.

--

					Robert I. Eachus

with Standard_Disclaimer;
use  Standard_Disclaimer;

* Re: Is General Kind the harbinger of doom for the Mandate?
@ 1993-03-31 22:38   ` David Emery
From: David Emery @ 1993-03-31 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

>Obviously most programmers could learn Ada if they wanted to.

That is NOT clear to me at all.  Most programmers could learn Ada
syntax, but not everyone can learn how to use Ada efficiently in the
context of software engineering.

To reuse an old analogy of Mark Gerhardt's: "Not everyone can learn
calculus.  Should people who can't comprehend calculus be engineers?"
I'd add "Anyone can learn to draw integral signs, though..."

				dave

* Re: Is General Kind the harbinger of doom for the Mandate?
@ 1993-04-01 19:48 ` John Bollenbacher
From: John Bollenbacher @ 1993-04-01 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

jnestoriak@vnet.IBM.COM wrote:

: ... Anyone
: who graduates from a decent University with a degree in Computer
: Science who can't learn a new programming language in less than a
: month must have slept through too many classes.

Well, I had been a professional programmer for 7 years (Algol, FORTRAN, C,
PL/M...) before immersing myself in Ada and it was probably a year before I
felt that I was no longer learning important aspects of the language (a year
very well spent I might add).  I consider myself reasonably bright so I have
no difficulty acceptying the claim that there is a shortage of well-trained Ada
engineers.  Actually, I'm ambivalent about the condition ;).

:
: ********************************************************************
: * These opinions are mine only.                     John Nestoriak *
: ********************************************************************

- John Bollenbacher                                        jhb@dale.cts.com -
- Titan Linkabit Corp.                                       (619) 552-9963 -
- 3033 Science Park Rd.                                                     -
- San Diego, Ca. 92121                                                      -

* Re: Is General Kind the harbinger of doom for the Mandate?
@ 1993-04-01 21:03 Wes Groleau X7574
From: Wes Groleau X7574 @ 1993-04-01 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <EACHUS.93Mar31161717@dr_no.mitre.org> eachus@dr_no.mitre.org (Robert I. Eachus) writes:
>.........., but, in time, all the remaining quality-blind hackers will
>be retired, writing video games, or flipping hamburgers.

I can assure you that unless things change, some of the colleges, as well as the
home computer "field" will continue replacing those "quality-blind hackers" !

At least that's what I see happening now in the workplace !

P.S. I posted this with a confusing grammatical error.  This is an attempt
at Supersedes:  If it didn't work, can someone tell me what I should have done?

* Re: Is General Kind the harbinger of doom for the Mandate?
@ 1993-04-01 23:54 jnestoriak
From: jnestoriak @ 1993-04-01 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

>: ... Anyone
>: who graduates from a decent University with a degree in Computer
>: Science who can't learn a new programming language in less than a
>: month must have slept through too many classes.
>
>Well, I had been a professional programmer for 7 years (Algol, FORTRAN, C,
>PL/M...) before immersing myself in Ada and it was probably a year before I
>felt that I was no longer learning important aspects of the language

Ok, after many contrary opinions, let me revise my original statement.

  1)Any computer science graduate with prior exposure to the
    "difficult" concepts in Ada (packages, generics, strong
    typing) should be able to become a productive Ada developer
    in a "short" amount of time.

  2)Good university programs will introduce all CS students to
    these programming concepts (though not necessarily in Ada).

  3)It will in general take people much longer to become
    competent software designers, and any given person is
    not guaranteed to become a good designer no matter how
    long and hard they try.

  I guess as CS grads go I had it rather easy learning Ada, as
I already knew SML (packages, generics, strong typing) and Pascal.
Ada to me was merely SML with Pascal syntax.  I also admit that the
project I work on doesn't use Ada tasking so that was one area of
the language I didn't have to learn.

@ 1993-04-03  2:05 ` Benjamin Ketcham
From: Benjamin Ketcham @ 1993-04-03  2:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Since nobody else has spoken up about this yet, I may as well mention it:

The term "hacker" describes a culture of programmers who program for
enjoyment, as well as, often, for work.  The hacker culture espouses the
values of robustness and quality in software, and eschews kluge artistry.

The term "hacker" has been imprecisely applied by the media to refer to
persons who break security on shared computer systems, and/or write and
disseminate software viruses.  The true hacker culture has nothing but
contempt for these people.

A new term has been proposed to describe these security-breakers, to
eliminate the current confusion:  "spiders".

Whether or not this term takes hold, it would be nice if we could preserve
the correct usage of the term "hacker".  Women and men who call themselves
hackers have written some (much) of the highest quality software that
exists, and are a driving force behind the evolution of the whole field of
software engineering.

--ben

* Re: Is General Kind the harbinger of doom for the Mandate?
@ 1993-04-03  4:04   ` Michael Shapiro
From: Michael Shapiro @ 1993-04-03  4:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

jhb@dale.cts.com (John Bollenbacher) writes:

> jnestoriak@vnet.IBM.COM wrote:
>
> : ... Anyone
> : who graduates from a decent University with a degree in Computer
> : Science who can't learn a new programming language in less than a
> : month must have slept through too many classes.
>
> Well, I had been a professional programmer for 7 years (Algol, FORTRAN, C,
> PL/M...) before immersing myself in Ada and it was probably a year before I
> felt that I was no longer learning important aspects of the language (a year
> very well spent I might add).  I consider myself reasonably bright so I have
> no difficulty acceptying the claim that there is a shortage of well-trained A
> engineers.  Actually, I'm ambivalent about the condition ;).

There's a difference between learning a language enough to use it and
becoming extremely proficient in it.  An experienced programmer should be
able to pick up any language similar to the one they've been using fairly
quickly.  But they'll learn more and more features and techniques with
use.  One of the cost models I have used (SoftCost, if I recall), assumes
an Ada programmer is less than fully proficient until they've completed
three projects.

--
INTERNET:  mshapiro@netlink.cts.com (Michael Shapiro)
UUCP:   ...!ryptyde!netlink!mshapiro

* Is General Kind the harbinger of doom for the Mandate?
@ 1993-04-03 10:50 ben elliston
From: ben elliston @ 1993-04-03 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

 > non-issue.  If you find software engineers today who
 > don't know Ada,
 > it takes a week or two for them to learn the syntax.

What I would like to know is .. what classifies a "software engineer"?  I know people with computer science degrees who boldly claim that they are "software engineers".

Whatever happened to being a Professional or Chartered Professional Engineer with a degree in engineering!?

Cheers,
Ben
Ben Elliston
Bachelor of Engineering (Computer Engineering)
University of Canberra

Email:      tp923021@jarrah.canberra.edu.au
UUCP:       ..!uunet!munnari!sserve.adfa.oz.au!compsol!root
FidoNet:    3:620/262
If a train station is where the train stops, what's a workstation?!

 * Origin: % Compact Solutions % Canberra ACT Australia % (3:620/262)

* Re: Is General Kind the harbinger of doom for the Mandate?
@ 1993-04-05 18:39 Robert I. Eachus
From: Robert I. Eachus @ 1993-04-05 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <733834945.AA00788@f262.n620.z3.fidonet.org> tp923021@fir.canberra.e
du.au (ben elliston) writes:

   >   What I would like to know is .. what classifies a "software
   > engineer"?  I know people with computer science degrees who boldly
   > claim that they are "software engineers".

   > Whatever happened to being a Professional or Chartered
   > Professional Engineer with a degree in engineering!?

   Very good question, but very hard to answer.  I consider myself to
be a software engineer, and I consider myself to be a professional
engineer, but there is yet no such animal as a professional software
engineer.  When some group is willing to stand up and form a
professional society with accreditation standards and a code of
ethics, then there will be such a profession.  (The IEEE has so far
wimped out, and the ACM has run as fast as it can away from the idea.)

   My current opinion is that the problem is the lack of a good model.
Any such organization, to be successful, would have to be more like a
medieval guild than a modern professional organization.  Programming
can be taught in a classroom, software engineering has to be learned
by experience and with a good mentor.

   Several colleges in this area have work/study programs, and many of
those students have graduated as good software engineers.  In fact
I've worked with about a dozen such students, and hired half of them
full time on (or before) graduation.  The successful students in these
programs are head and shoulders above other CS graduates.  (Or should
I say head and shoulders above CS graduates.  Most of the best
students in my experience have majored in EE or Computer Systems
Engineering.)

--

					Robert I. Eachus

with Standard_Disclaimer;
use  Standard_Disclaimer;

* Re: Is General Kind the harbinger of doom for the Mandate?
@ 1993-04-05 19:17 David Emery
From: David Emery @ 1993-04-05 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

There is a big difference between "professional engineer" and
"Professional Engineer" (P.E.)  The latter are licensed by the states
and are legally liable when the building (etc) that they approved (by
sealing drawings) falls down.  There have been many discussions on
whether software engineers should be PE's, and at one time laws to
that effect were proposed in New Jersey.

It'd be a damn good idea, in my opinion, but there are some
substantial issues that have to be addressed before it happens.

				dave
p.s.  one thing I'll guarantee:  We'll start spending $$$ for
professional liability insurance when it happens...

* Re: Is General Kind the harbinger of doom for the Mandate?
@ 1993-04-07 17:15 agate!howland.reston.ans.net!zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu!cs.utexas.edu!csc.ti.com!tilde.csc.ti.com!mksol!mccall
From: agate!howland.reston.ans.net!zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu!cs.utexas.edu!csc.ti.com!tilde.csc.ti.com!mksol!mccall @ 1993-04-07 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

In <733834945.AA00788@f262.n620.z3.fidonet.org> tp923021@fir.canberra.edu.au (b
en elliston) writes:

> > non-issue.  If you find software engineers today who
> > don't know Ada,
> > it takes a week or two for them to learn the syntax.

>What I would like to know is .. what classifies a "software
>engineer"?  I know people with computer science degrees who boldly
>claim that they are "software engineers".

>Whatever happened to being a Professional or Chartered Professional
>Engineer with a degree in engineering!?

If you can show me a PE exam that has a 'speciality' area of 'Software'
instead of having to pass it as some other 'kind' of engineer, I'll be
more than happy to take it.  Until then, you're going to have to
accept the Federal Government's 'definition' of what a Software
Engineer does.  Right now, PE just isn't meaningful as far as software
engineering goes.

Frankly, a lot of engineers (of the hardware variety) design and build
some of the worst software I've ever seen, in part (I believe) because
they *don't* think of it as 'engineering' and so don't apply any kind
of engineering methodology to it.  I once had a mechanical engineer
who worked for Bell insist that any software that might be needed
could easily be done in BASIC, so what was the point of all these
other languages?

[Whatever happened to being the guy who drives the train to be an
'engineer'?]

--
"Insisting on perfect safety is for people who don't have the balls to live
 in the real world."   -- Mary Shafer, NASA Ames Dryden

* Re: Is General Kind the harbinger of doom for the Mandate?
@ 1993-04-08 16:02 agate!howland.reston.ans.net!zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu!ub!galileo.cc.roch
From: agate!howland.reston.ans.net!zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu!ub!galileo.cc.roch @ 1993-04-08 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

|> >What I would like to know is .. what classifies a "software
|> >engineer"?  I know people with computer science degrees who boldly
|> >claim that they are "software engineers".
|>
|> >Whatever happened to being a Professional or Chartered Professional
|> >Engineer with a degree in engineering!?

Good question -- for traditional engineering.  In the U.S., according
to Engineering Times (1/93), P.E. licensing rates are:

	Civil		44 %
	Mechanical	23 %
	Electrical	 9 %
	Chemical	 8 %

So, at least in the U.S., I'd suggest that the traditionalists get their
acts together before preaching to software engineers.

--

Mike Lutz
Department of Computer Science