From: agate!howland.reston.ans.net!zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu!ub!galileo.cc.roch ester.edu!rochester!rit!mjl@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Michael J Lutz)
Subject: Re: Is General Kind the harbinger of doom for the Mandate?
Date: 8 Apr 93 16:02:22 GMT	[thread overview]

|> >What I would like to know is .. what classifies a "software
|> >engineer"?  I know people with computer science degrees who boldly
|> >claim that they are "software engineers".
|>
|> >Whatever happened to being a Professional or Chartered Professional
|> >Engineer with a degree in engineering!?

Good question -- for traditional engineering.  In the U.S., according
to Engineering Times (1/93), P.E. licensing rates are:

	Civil		44 %
	Mechanical	23 %
	Electrical	 9 %
	Chemical	 8 %

So, at least in the U.S., I'd suggest that the traditionalists get their
acts together before preaching to software engineers.

--

Mike Lutz
Department of Computer Science