From: aio!usenet@ames.arc.nasa.gov  (John Cobarruvias)
Subject: Re: A MITRE measure of the future of Ada
Date: 29 Apr 93 14:04:19 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <SRCTRAN.93Apr27150931@world.std.com> srctran@world.std.com
(Gregory Aharonian) writes:

>    Like the debate between Communism and Capitalism was best resolved
>with how people voted with their feet (i.e. escaping across the Iron
>Curtain), so too can the language debate be best resolved with how
>people vote with their own money (i.e. spending outside the Mandate
>Curtain).
>
>   Case in point, the MITRE corporation, an Air Force sponsored think
>tank, which puts forth a few valiant defenders of Ada policy such as
>Bob and Dave.  However looking beyond their words, we see a different
>message coming from MITRE: that the future only has a small role for Ada.
>The April 18 and 25 Boston Sunday Globes have help wanted ads from MITRE
-
>"Visions of the Future become reality at MITRE"  (hey I could use a job,
>maybe I should apply!).  In the body of the ad, appears the job openings,
>as follows (only the language specific ones listed).
>
>NETWORK MANAGEMENT:  C, Unix, TCP/IP RDBMS, WIndows, ADI
>ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE: Lisp, Object Oriented Programming, COTS
Integration
>SOFTWARE ENGINEERS: Ada, C, Unix, MilStd2167
>MS WINDOWS SOFTWARE ENGINEER: C++, OSI, SQL
>
>"Bring to life the next generation of technology, which will influence
the
>strategic direction of the entire country".  Subtracting out Ada stuff
for
>Mandated work, and I guess MITRE is telling the rest of the world that
Ada
>has no role in the strategic direction of the entire country.  I wonder
what
>they tell the Air Force and the DoD.

Hum, with this logic, Fortran, COBOL, Assm, etc and any other language is
doomed!

>Look at what they do, not what they say.
>
>617-489-3727 - call me I could use the work.

Have you thought of becoming an investment planner?

>Greg
>--

>Greg Aharonian
>Source Translation & Optimiztion
>P.O. Box 404, Belmont, MA 02178

John R. Cobarruvias, Texas A&M Class of '78,
NASA Johnson Space Center Houston Tx.
(713)483-9357

"Your pain will be legendary" (Hellraiser I)
"And to think..................I hesitated" (Hellraiser II)
"These pins are killing me!" (Pinhead in Hellraiser IV)