* Crash your compiler (Was: Ada Readability, Book Reference)
@ 1993-01-05 18:15 Stephane Bortzmeyer
From: Stephane Bortzmeyer @ 1993-01-05 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

(Michael Feldman) writes:
> >This is interesting. I take it, then, that 1.0/3.0 will be flagged by
> >the compiler, because - unless a rational representation is being
> >used, which is always possible, I suppose - there aren't enough bits
> >in a megabyte to evaluate it exactly. Do compilers use rationals
> >for this?  I'll be back later, after a test or two of this!
> About seven years ago I saw this program (I think by John Squires) on
> info-ada (this is a reconstruction from memory). See how long it takes
> your compiler to give up on it -- use a batch queue if you can, especially
> on a virtual memory machine.  If it does eventually compile, you can just
> add lines until it won't...

Here are some results:

1) Sony/Risc under News/OS (sort of Unix BSD) with the Alsys/Systeam compiler:

% time ada.c ../killer.ada
Compiling:  /users/labinf/bortz/ada/essais/killer.ada
line 0, col 1, restriction:
         Overflow of digit pool in constant table
compiler error at end of compilation unit:
         Compilation in SEMANTIC aborted
PROCEDURE  KILLER
  **** Number of Errors              :     2
29.7u 0.5s 0:39.54 76.6% 337+196k 72+9io 354pf+0w

(Thirty CPU seconds before giving up.)

2) DECstation under Ultrix (sort of Unix BSD) with the DEC compiler:

% time ada.c ../killer.ada

(Twenty minutes of CPU time later, the experimentator went to bed.)

Does anyone have such a collection of "compiler killers"?

Stephane Bortzmeyer           Conservatoire National des Arts et Metiers

bortzmeyer@cnam.cnam.fr       Laboratoire d'Informatique
                              292, rue Saint-Martin
tel: +33 (1) 40 27 27 31      75141 Paris Cedex 03
fax: +33 (1) 40 27 27 72      France

"C'est la nuit qu'il est beau de croire a la lumiere." E. Rostand

* Re: Crash your compiler (Was: Ada Readability, Book Reference)
@ 1993-01-06 16:23 Bill Yow
From: Bill Yow @ 1993-01-06 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <199301051815.AA06597@cnam.cnam.fr>, bortzmeyer@cnam.cnam.fr (Stepha
ne Bortzmeyer) writes:
|> In article <1993Jan5.115003.29978@sei.cmu.edu>,
|> progers@ajpo.sei.cmu.edu (Pat Rogers) writes:
|> > In article <1993Jan4.174424.5699@seas.gwu.edu> mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu
|> (Michael Feldman) writes:

Intro stuff deleted.

|> Here are some results:
|>
|> 1) Sony/Risc under News/OS (sort of Unix BSD) with the Alsys/Systeam compile
r:

|> % time ada.c ../killer.ada
|> Compiling:  /users/labinf/bortz/ada/essais/killer.ada
|> line 0, col 1, restriction:
|>          Overflow of digit pool in constant table
|> compiler error at end of compilation unit:
|>          Compilation in SEMANTIC aborted
|> PROCEDURE  KILLER
|>   **** Number of Errors              :     2
|> 29.7u 0.5s 0:39.54 76.6% 337+196k 72+9io 354pf+0w
|>
|> (Thirty CPU seconds before giving up.)
|>
|> 2) DECstation under Ultrix (sort of Unix BSD) with the DEC compiler:
|>
|> % time ada.c ../killer.ada
|>
|> (Twenty minutes of CPU time later, the experimentator went to bed.)
|>
|> Does anyone have such a collection of "compiler killers"?

On a Sun 2 with Sun Ada (Verdix) something like the following messages were rec
eived after about 5 minutes.

Fail to allocated 1532 bytes of memory.

Already allocated 62534400 bytes of memory.

Compile failed.

|> Stephane Bortzmeyer           Conservatoire National des Arts et Metiers

|> bortzmeyer@cnam.cnam.fr       Laboratoire d'Informatique
|>                               292, rue Saint-Martin
|> tel: +33 (1) 40 27 27 31      75141 Paris Cedex 03
|> fax: +33 (1) 40 27 27 72      France
|>
|> "C'est la nuit qu'il est beau de croire a la lumiere." E. Rostand

						Later,
						Bill Yow
						(713) 283-4051
						yow@sweetpea.jsc.nasa.gov