From: seas.gwu.edu!mfeldman@uunet.uu.net  (Michael Feldman)
Subject: Re: Play 20K expressions again, Sam
Date: 9 Sep 92 16:13:53 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <dnsurber.715958256@node_26400> dnsurber@lescsse.jsc.nasa.gov (Dougl
as N. Surber) writes:

>Actually no.  The Verdix compiler is written in C, not that silly Ada thing. :
).
Indeed. Verdix, ICC, DEC, and Meridian use other languages to write their
compilers. Alsys, RR, TeleSoft, and Rational all use Ada.

Is Verdix' commitment to C as a host language a contributing factor in the
bugs being so hard to fix?

A nice consequence of compiler houses writing their stuff is Ada is that
the developers really have to know Ada! I believe that will help them
better to understand the kinds of programs their customers will write.
(The Verdix guy's use of a C-ism shows me which language he focuses on...)

Mike Feldman