From: pa.dec.com!nntpd2.cxo.dec.com!bonmot!wallace@decwrl.dec.com  (Richard Wal
Subject: Re: VAX Ada: Diffs in tasking between v 1.5 and v 2.1?
Date: 23 Sep 92 01:47:25 GMT	[thread overview]

mwj@rz.uni-jena.de (Johannes Waldmann) writes:
: I have a prog which uses lots of tasks doing text_io.put/get on
: the terminal and on files and also reading and writing system mailboxes.
: The latter is implemented with QIO and AST entries.
:
: The whole thing works fine when compiled with v 1.5, but stumbles with v 2.1.
: (It seems the keyboard wait for text_io.get blocks other tasks as well.)
:
: I'd like to know some cure for this..

Johannes,

	Please post the smallest code example that demonstrates what you
are seeing.

	Please read Section 8.5 in your VAX Ada run-time reference
manual to be sure that you are not incurring any of the known blocking actions
that occur with TEXT_IO.PUT and GET routines.

	It is better to use the Digital supplied package TASKING_SERVICES
than to "roll-your-own" via QIO and AST calls.

Aloha,
	Richard

Richard Wallace
Digital Equipment Corporation
301 Rockrimmon Blvd. South
CXO2-1/7A
Colorado Springs, CO 80919-2398
(719)548-2792
<wallace@cookie.enet.dec.com>

	"The opinions expressed are my own, Unlce Ken or Uncle Bob
	 may, or may not, agree with me.