* Wanted: User Interface tools recommendations
@ 1992-09-15 14:31 aio!news
From: aio!news @ 1992-09-15 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am looking for recommendations on user interface tools especially those with
Ada interfaces. I have the following suggestions already:

TAE+ : A NASA developed and owned tool.
SAMMII : A tool developed by SSI in support of the Space Station Program.

Any help would be appreciated.

John R. Cobarruvias, Texas A&M Class of '78,
NASA Johnson Space Center Houston Tx.
(713)483-9357

"And to think..................I hesitated" (Hellraiser II)

* Re: Wanted: User Interface tools recommendations
@ 1992-09-15 15:50 Douglas N. Surber
From: Douglas N. Surber @ 1992-09-15 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

In <1992Sep15.143122.23558@aio.jsc.nasa.gov> cobarruvias@asd2.jsc.nasa.gov writ
es:

>I am looking for recommendations on user interface tools especially those with
>Ada interfaces. I have the following suggestions already:

>TAE+ : A NASA developed and owned tool.
>SAMMII : A tool developed by SSI in support of the Space Station Program.

Builder Xcessory: by IXI.  IMHO the best interface tool available.  The most
    recent release uses a UIL to Ada translator from SERC to generate Ada.
    Works like a charm.
GRAMMI: developed by ??? under Govt. contract. Being marketed by EVB,
    the people who do the GRACE components. Reimplements some of the
    Motif widgets in Ada. Does not use the Motif code at all.  Very few
    users.
Screen Machine: by OIS. Best pure Ada support. Handles a lot of the
    problems with multitasking. Does not support the full Motif widget
    set.
TeleUse: by Telesoft.  The most recent (or maybe next) release can
    generate Ada. Depends on D, a proprietary language. Good tool.

Douglas Surber
Lockheed
Houston, TX

* Re: Wanted: User Interface tools recommendations
@ 1992-09-15 16:15 cis.ohio-state.edu!news.sei.cmu.edu!ajpo.sei.cmu.edu!goodsenj
From: cis.ohio-state.edu!news.sei.cmu.edu!ajpo.sei.cmu.edu!goodsenj @ 1992-09-15 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

>I am looking for recommendations on user interface tools especially those with
>Ada interfaces. I have the following suggestions already:
>
>TAE+ : A NASA developed and owned tool.
>SAMMII : A tool developed by SSI in support of the Space Station Program.
>
>Any help would be appreciated.

Check out GRAMMI.  Written entirely in Ada for Ada developers.
It has a GUI builder which spits out your Ada specs for you.
Motif 3D look and feel on all of it's widgets, plus widgets
you don't find in other toolkits...

see:       Jennifer Lott
           EVB Software Engineering, Inc.
           1-800-877-1815
           grammi-info@evb.com
           info@evb.com

PS:  To the comp.lang.ada FAQ keeper, are the Ada GUI
     builders and graphics packages in the FAQ?

John Goodsen
goodsenj@ajpo.sei.cmu.edu

* Re: Wanted: User Interface tools recommendations
@ 1992-09-15 16:43 cis.ohio-state.edu!news.sei.cmu.edu!ajpo.sei.cmu.edu!goodsenj
From: cis.ohio-state.edu!news.sei.cmu.edu!ajpo.sei.cmu.edu!goodsenj @ 1992-09-15 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>I am looking for recommendations on user interface tools especially those wit
>>Ada interfaces. I have the following suggestions already:
>
>>TAE+ : A NASA developed and owned tool.
>>SAMMII : A tool developed by SSI in support of the Space Station Program.
>
>Builder Xcessory: by IXI.  IMHO the best interface tool available.  The most
>    recent release uses a UIL to Ada translator from SERC to generate Ada.
>    Works like a charm.

Should the SERC translator work with *Any* builder which spits out UIL
and not just BX?

>GRAMMI: developed by ??? under Govt. contract. Being marketed by EVB,
>    the people who do the GRACE components. Reimplements some of the
>    Motif widgets in Ada. Does not use the Motif code at all.  Very few
>    users.

Very few users because it is just being released in Beta form as we speak...
Some big pluses for not using Motif code... Look at the Motif bug lists
for starters...  Think about Ada tasking issues as a followup.
GRAMMI is completely Ada tasking safe - no reentrancy problems and no
blocking of application tasks...

>Screen Machine: by OIS. Best pure Ada support.
>                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                         ahem....

>TeleUse: by Telesoft.  The most recent (or maybe next) release can
>    generate Ada. Depends on D, a proprietary language. Good tool.

TeleUSE blows every other C builder on the market away, hands down.
I`ve *SERIOUSLY* used all of them, including BX.
TeleUSE D is a plus, not a minus.  They ship the run-time source so
you can port to any machine you desire...
You can generate UIL from TeleUSE, similar to all other C builders.

* Re: Wanted: User Interface tools recommendations
@ 1992-09-16 15:20 dog.ee.lbl.gov!overload.lbl.gov!agate!usenet.ins.cwru.edu!magnus.acs.ohio
From: dog.ee.lbl.gov!overload.lbl.gov!agate!usenet.ins.cwru.edu!magnus.acs.ohio @ 1992-09-16 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sun's guide tool ( with a backend distributed with SunAda ) can
generate code for to open look.

--
pat gioannini
pat@psl.nmsu.edu