From: pa.dec.com!nntpd2.cxo.dec.com!shodha!wallace@decuac.dec.com  (Richard Wal
Subject: An admittedly biased Ada/C++ comparison, by Ed Schonberg
Date: 22 Oct 92 15:05:30 GMT	[thread overview]

Val Kartchner clarifies what I wrote.  I, indeed, was refering to what he
writes as "The Law of Only Exposure" thus:

: What should actually be applied is "The Law of Only Exposure".  Many
: programmers (unfortunately) only learn one language.  This makes discussions
: about languages on technological merits difficult if not impossible.
: Additionally, since most "programmers" don't know an assembly language,
: they generally lack an understanding of what a computer actually does with/to
: their HLL program.  Lacking this understanding makes it difficult if not
: impossible to discuss efficiency issues.

Val does seem to miss the point I was making regarding economics though.
Pascal is still a more complex compiler than is any BCPL-based (C, C++
according to Horowitz) language to port; and as such would not be
available to the Pascal/FORTRAN/COBOL writer at either unversity or
job site.  Having just said that I know that there are a great deal of
universities and businesses that have these -- as well as a myriad of
other languages -- available.  What I want to focus on here in this
thread is the cost of compilers.  I haven't done any scientific survey
so what I'm writing about is knowledge of personal experience at buying
compilers.  To bend a phrase from the movie/book "The Right Stuff"

	"It isn't technology that dictates what compiler is used,
	 its funding."

Val continues to write:

: At Weber State University, Ada is the required language.  However, it is not
: the most popular.

I'm glad to hear this.  If a survey were taken with the following type of
questions I wonder what language would come out the majority response?
The first question is a control to make sure the questions are a)
understood and b) an indicator to understanding of reserved words in a
computer language.

1) What is your native language (ex. English, French, Spanish, et.al.)?

2) What was the first computer language that you wrote programs in?

3) What assembly/macro assembly language did you first learn?

4) To your personal knowledge, what compiler would you buy for your
personal computer if cost is not a problem (you have unlimited dollars
to use)?

5) To your personal knowledge, what compiler would you buy for your
personal computer if cost is a problem (you have to buy the cheapest)?

Other questions in this vein could be asked.  Give it a try Val.
University is a great place to try this.  You could even design a survey
program to collect the data.  I, for one, would like to see the results!

Aloha,
	Richard

Richard Wallace
Digital Equipment Corporation
301 Rockrimmon Blvd. South
CXO2-1/7A
Colorado Springs, CO 80919-2398
(719)548-2792
<wallace@cookie.enet.dec.com>

	"The opinions expressed are my own, Uncle Ken or Uncle Bob
	 may, or may not, agree with me."