* PCTE/Ada?
@ 1992-10-17 14:05 SAHARBAUGH
From: SAHARBAUGH @ 1992-10-17 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

I would appreciate pointers, info, etc.
regarding PCTE/Ada.  I recall PCTE
information being posted here in the
past.  Also PCIS which I believe
is the NIST equivalent of PCTE.
Thanks.
sam harbaugh saharbaugh@ROO.FIT.EDU
-----------

* Re: PCTE/Ada?
@ 1992-10-19 17:39 cis.ohio-state.edu!zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu!cs.utexas.edu!asuvax!ennews!
From: cis.ohio-state.edu!zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu!cs.utexas.edu!asuvax!ennews! @ 1992-10-19 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <9210171411.AA17614@ajpo.sei.cmu.edu> SAHARBAUGH@ROO.FIT.EDU writes:
>I would appreciate pointers, info, etc.
>regarding PCTE/Ada.  I recall PCTE
>information being posted here in the
>past.  Also PCIS which I believe
>is the NIST equivalent of PCTE.

I don't know exactly what you're asking , but I'll take a stab.  There
are Ada bindings to PCTE and they are available through ftp - Email me
if you'd like more info.  PCIS is a completely different effort than
PCTE.  PCTE was a Eurpoean attempt at a tool interface set, CAIS was
US.  PCIS (notice PCte-caIS - not sure it was intentional) is a
currently ongoing joint venture between the US and Europe.  There
will be Ada83 (not 9X) and C bindings to PCIS.

Hope this helps.
--
Harry Koehnemann
koehnema@enuxha.eas.asu.edu

* Re: PCTE/Ada?
@ 1992-10-20 16:07 Xmiester
From: Xmiester @ 1992-10-20 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <9210171411.AA17614@ajpo.sei.cmu.edu> SAHARBAUGH@ROO.FIT.EDU writes:
>I would appreciate pointers, info, etc.
>regarding PCTE/Ada.  I recall PCTE
>information being posted here in the
>past.  Also PCIS which I believe
>is the NIST equivalent of PCTE.

PCTE (Portable Common Tool Environment) is a specification from the
ECMA, with several commercial implementations available.

CAIS-A (Common APSE Interface Set - Ada) is an Ada specification for a
SEE. Sponsored by the DoD.

PCIS (Portable Common Interface Set -or- PCte-caIS) is not sponsored
by NIST, but rather by the AJPO and NATO. Originally the plan was to
merge CAIS-A and PCTE, but now it looks like we're going for a beefed
version of PCTE that the AJPO and DoD can stand behind.

NIST has developed a reference model for Software Engineering
Environment frameworks. NIST Techni cal Report TR-55.

H/P, IBM, Control Data and Informix have initiated the CASE Communique
(CASECOM) effort to develop standards for control integration. The
influence of these people is heavily from the H/P Softbench camp,
however, there is much effort to ensure the message based broadcast
server technology is not inher ently implied by the standard.

DEC, Sun and SGI have a similar effort called the CASE
Interoperability Alliance (CIA).

There is the ANSI Committee X3H6 on CASE Tool Integration Models.

It is expected that CASECOM and CIA specs will be submitted to X3H6
for standardization on tool mes saging specifications (control
integration).

--
John Goodsen
goodsenj@ajpo.sei.cmu.edu

* Re: PCTE/Ada?
@ 1992-10-21 12:49 John Goodsen
From: John Goodsen @ 1992-10-21 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

tne@world.std.com (Thomas N Erickson) writes:

>PCTE  is the NIST and ECMA standard reference model for Software
>Engineering Environments.  A published standard exists (NIST 500-201).

PCTE is *NOT* the NIST/ECMA reference model, however, PCTE has
influenced the NIST/ECMA reference model quite a bit.  See my
earlier post...

John Goodsen
goodsenj@ajpo.sei.cmu.edu