From: cis.ohio-state.edu!zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu!darwin.sura.net!mlb.semi.har ris.com!dw3g!smccoy@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Scott McCoy)
Subject: Re: Assy/Ada SLOC ratio;What's an Ada SLOC?
Date: 15 Oct 92 13:15:11 GMT	[thread overview]

Before I start: my apologies if this a repeat of an earlier
post of mine.  My newsreader crapped out in the middle of
my previous write-up, and I can't get any indication that
the original post made it.  So, I'll repeat myself...:-)

In article <1992Oct14.121432.10919@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu>, dlc@ddsdx2.jhuapl.edu (
Dave Collard x7468) writes:

[...source code example deleted...]

|> IMHO, any method that depends on semicolons for counting
|> lines of code is pretty useless.

You've hit on a key point here -- what do you expect your SLOC
metric to measure?  Size?  Complexity?  The answer you give
can effect the method used to count SLOC.

I haven't seen a consensus in the Ada community on this topic,
and I've been developing/managing Ada projects since 1985.  So
there is probably not one answer to 'what is an Ada SLOC'...

One approach I used in the past is 'every non-blank, non-comment
line is a LOC'.  I fully recognize that this method is highly
dependent upong the programming and formating style.  For example,
a module written using named parameters, and a formatter which
breaks each parameter onto a separate line would have a higher
count then just using positional parameters.  Also, change your
margins for your formatter, and the count changes again.

I point these out to show there are limitations to any method
of counting SLOC.

--
Scott McCoy	Harris ISD	Opinions expressed are my own.
Staff Eng - SW	Internet: 	smccoy@dw3g.ess.harris.com