* Re: Request for Info Regarding Frightening Problems
@ 1992-03-30  7:32 Jeffrey M. Schweiger
From: Jeffrey M. Schweiger @ 1992-03-30  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted -

I noticed that you really didn't post anything that we haven't seen before,
and you didn't post _anything_ regarding a real-world 'frightening'
problem.  You give a hypothetical ship navigation problem, but it is
hypothetical only.

If you've got something new and constructive to say, please do so.  By the
way, have you ever even programmed in Ada, or for any machine other than one
running MS-DOS (I say the latter, because that has consistently been the
orientation of your attacks)?

For what it's worth, I have used Ada on both MS-DOS and Unix machines with
success.  I find it a nicely structured languag, and prefer it to C (which
I also use).

Jeff Schweiger
Jeff Schweiger	      Standard Disclaimer   	CompuServe:  74236,1645
Internet (Milnet):				schweige@taurus.cs.nps.navy.mil

* Re: Request for Info Regarding Frightening Problems
@ 1992-03-30 18:58 Richard G. Hash
From: Richard G. Hash @ 1992-03-30 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>>Could you list those problems? Especially the frightening ones?
>>
>>Often in the vacinity of a particularly dangerous passageway or near
>>some narrow channel through which ships must pass, or in waterways in
>>which dangerous tides are liable to drive ships into rocks or other
>>hidden obstructions, there will be a warning beacon of some sort; some
>>kind of a repeated signal to prevent the unwary from coming to harm.
>>
>>In similar vein, I have prepared the following little selection of horror
>>stories, to post to this group and on other similar forums once in a while
>>as a similar warning to those whose projects are in danger of cracking up
>>on the shoals of Ada.
>
>   <much deleted>
>   <horrendous Holden horror histories>
>
>Great Scott!! And all this time I've been happily sailing along, writing
>successful Ada code in blissful ignorance of its impossibility. After
>reading this post, I feel like the proverbial bumblebee who's just been
>told he can't fly.

For those of you who subscribe to comp.lang.c++, and who see 150+ daily
posts along the lines of "How does blurfl work?", "Why doesn't <pick some
feature> work?", "Why do I get a segmentation fault when I <sneeze>?",
"How come this works under <vendor A> but won't compile under <vendor B>",
ad nauseum, you have already quickly realized that Teds post was intended
for April 1, but his itchy fingers couldn't wait.

Ted's been predicting gloom and despair for years, and telling us all
how everything we're doing in Ada is a dismal failure, and it will
never work. Despite Mr. Holdens expert opinion our successes indicate
otherwise.

The "frightening" thing is that someone out just might have listened to him.
Gee Ted, I've almost missed you.

--
Richard G. Hash    Shell Bellaire Research Center   (713) 245-7311
E-Mail: rgh@shell.com            or   rgh@shell.uucp

* Re: Request for Info Regarding Frightening Problems
@ 1992-03-31  2:45 Rob Spray
From: Rob Spray @ 1992-03-31  2:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

In <2704@fedfil.UUCP> news@fedfil.UUCP (news) writes:

[LOTS mercyfully deleted]

>  "ADA! - KUH! - Yeah!, what is it GOOD for, absolutely NOTHIN!, say
>  it again...  ADA! - KUH! - Yeah..."

>Ted Holden
>HTE

I see that Karl Nyberg's virus program Ted_Holden has broken
out of grebyn.com.

Nowhere is safe now.

--Rob   spray@convex.com