From: rochester!kodak!ispd-newsserver!psinntp!vitro.com!v7.vitro.com!eswgcc@rut gers.edu  (Carmen Castells-Schofield)
Subject: Re: Why ADA?
Date: 27 Mar 92 18:42:37 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <1992Mar25.163726.10669@mahendo.jpl.nasa.gov>, felipe@larissa.jpl.na
sa.gov (Felipe Hervias) writes:
> In article <1992Mar24.161425.125@v7.vitro.com>, carmencs@vitro.com (Carmen Ca
stells-Schofield) writes:

> |> This was a very nice exposition of a sentiment I wanted to convey and coul
dn't
> |> think of how to put.   Just to extend this a little, I would say that Ada
> |> forces you to use these concepts; C just lets you.   The difference the fi
rst
> |> time you use Ada in a group is amazing; we spent 1 week doing joint design
,
> |> three weeks separately doing development, and then were integrated and run
ning
> |> in about an hour.   This with good software engineers who were doing their

> |> first Ada project.
> |>
> |> The big payback for Ada is for team development.   That's not what you lea
rn in
> |> school, but it is what you'll need in the real world.
> |>
> |> --
>
> By learning Ada in school doesn't prepare someone for the 'real world.'
> You don't need and shouldn't have to use Ada to learn good software
> development. If you have a good software engineering background the
> so call benefits of Ada doesn't show.

	This is true if and only if you always use good software engineering
techniques, no matter the time pressure, and so does everyone you ever work
with and/or have to support old code from.   Historically, however, this has
not proven true.   Therefore, a language like Ada which makes it easy to do
good design and harder to kludge stuff, and which forces you to think things
through up front, has a place in the software engineering community.   You can
write good, structured assembler, too, but very little existing assembler is...

> I have used Ada and C is the past and I can see why Ada will never be as
> popular as C or ever come close. The increasing popularity of C++ will
> only make C/C++ even more popular.

	I agree that the average hacker would probably rather write C/C++.   I
maintain, however, that the average software engineer would rather MAINTAIN
Ada.
        /  Carmen Castells-Schofield             Internet: carmencs@vitro.com
__     /   Vitro Corporation	                 Voice:    (301) 231-2187
   \ /     Silver Spring, MD 20906-2972    : May the light within us all
    *                                      : answer each the other's call
*   Any opinions expressed herein are my own property, not those of whoever   *
*            happens to be holding my paycheck at the moment.                 *