From: seas.gwu.edu!mfeldman@uunet.uu.net  (Michael Feldman)
Subject: Re: Ada compiler wanted!
Date: 9 Dec 92 05:51:52 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <92343.111916DGB4@psuvm.psu.edu> <DGB4@psuvm.psu.edu> writes:
>Does a NON-MPW Ada compiler exist for the Macintosh? I am a tinkerer with
>different languages and I would like to examine (alright, play) with Ada.
>I have shareware compilers for C, Pascal, Modula-2, Lisp, Scheme, and
>several assemblers. I have not yet seen a version of Ada. Since I am only
>interested in tinkering and not really doing any major development I have
>no intention of buying MPW (Mac Programmers Workbench) and a professional
>Ada compiler. Any and all info will be great.

No such luck. The closest thing would be Ada/Ed, but there's no Mac
version (yet). Meridian's Mac system is $129., with MPW included in
the bundle (this is the academic price). It's more than free, but
it's not a crusher either. And it has a decent Mac Toolbox binding.
No binding to the System 7.0 goodies yet, but Meridian's working on that.

Mike Feldman
Michael B. Feldman
co-chair, SIGAda Education Committee

School of Engineering and Applied Science
The George Washington University
Washington, DC 20052 USA
(202) 994-5253 (voice)
(202) 994-5296 (fax)
mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu (Internet)

"Americans want the fruits of patience -- and they want them now."

------------------------------
n, will
include a port to the Macintosh, emagnuso@halcyon.com (Erik Magnuson)
asks:
>> Is this really likely given the FSF antipathy to Apple? Do the GNAT
>> implementors feel bound by RMS request to boycott Apple and not
>> support GNU software on Apple?

It may be unlikely, but it's happening.  RMS is working closely with the
NYU folks on GNAT, and NYU is doing nothing without his agreement.  How
Dewar obtained RMS's agreement to the Mac port I don't know; what I do
know is that Dewar reports having obtained it.

Art Evans